Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Backup sensors on 2007

Old May 5th, 2009, 2:11 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Backup sensors on 2007

I'm getting a service alert on the backup alert system. I have strong reason to believe that one is damaged. Does anyone know if the system will function if I remove the suspected sensor? It looks like a job to get it out, so I thought I'd ask first.
Old May 5th, 2009, 5:45 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

any kind of fault will disable the entire system. one sensor missing constitutes a fault, disabling the system. Sorry man
Old May 5th, 2009, 9:39 PM
CF Active Member

Do you know, if the bad sensor is replaced, will the system come back up, or does it have to be reset by the dealer?
Old May 6th, 2009, 5:00 PM
Banned

no programming required. A key cycle should run it through its start up test, and if all is good it should work. If you plan on buying one and swaping each sensor till it works, don't forget that they have to be painted to match.
the 2 outside ones pop out nice and easy, but the 2 inner ones are a different story.....

Old May 6th, 2009, 8:03 PM
CF Active Member

Thanks for the great information. That connector on the back is tricky. I haven't figured out how to remove it yet. Yes, it's the right outer sensor that I suspect as it was the only one that made...err...contact with the object that it was suppose to be sensing. I believe it was working at the time, and it me who was making a "strong point" to my better half at the time that didn't hear it. I'll try swapping it out.
Old May 7th, 2009, 9:08 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Might PM THETAHOE as he changed out something that required removing the rear bumper cover.
Old May 9th, 2009, 7:04 AM
Banned

If its an outside sensor, the bumper doesn't come off. reach up and unclip the sensor from the shroud
Old May 26th, 2009, 12:41 PM
CF Active Member

Move Back!...Move Back!....Give the man some air!

I just got the bill for 1...1...ONE!...backup sensor....(drum roll please)......

One Hundred Fifty-Three US dollars!!

Last edited by Hardin Thicke; May 26th, 2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old May 26th, 2009, 12:52 PM
CF Active Member

Default ...and another thing.....

....My wife picked it up for me, and after seeing the part, had opened her purse to produce a twenty. Couldn't be more than that...right? WRONG!

The sensors are mounted in a plastic bumper cover that can be deflected with your hand. Just behind the sensor body is the actual steel bumper. When the cover deflects, it mashes the sensor into the steel bumper plate. In my case, it tore into the rubber potting compound that surrounds the rear of the sensor, tearing the circuitry apart. Hopefully, you'll be paying better attention to those stupid beeps more than I was. The wife had me distracted and was making a very verbal point at the time of the impact.....a very expensive point.

Last edited by Hardin Thicke; May 26th, 2009 at 1:57 PM.
Old May 26th, 2009, 1:49 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Ouch!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Backup sensors on 2007