Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Battery or charging system issues

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2011, 9:24 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Tahoe Battery Dead Again

I have a 2010 Tahoe Z71 that I purchased last June and yesterday (second time) I went to start the vehical and the battery was dead. I jumped started it and checked to see if anything was left on and I could not find a thing. The Tahoe does have heated front and rear bucket seats and the Entgertainment package. This happened once before (January). I plan on taking it to the dealer this week and I was wondering if anyone has had similar problems and what was the solution? Signed New forum member Thanks
Old May 3rd, 2011, 4:56 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum...
My 07 Tahoe had to have the battery replaced ( under warranty) in less then 2yrs... so its possible it is battery related but could also be cabling or the alternator...The dealer should be able to check it out pretty quickly for you...
Old May 4th, 2011, 8:00 AM
CF Junior Member

While this may no be the cause of your battery drain issue I did see the article I pasted below in the May issue of GM Techlink. Scroll about halfway down the page at GM Techlink

ARTICLE:

On some 2007-2010 OUTLOOK; 2008-2011 Enclave; 2009-2011 Traverse; and 2007-2011 Acadia, Silverado, Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe, Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, and Escalade models, an intermittent no crank condition may be found due to a dead battery.

A recent Engineering study has shown that the vehicles identified above could experience a dead battery as a result of the HVAC afterblow function being turned on at the dealership (refer to Service Information document 1865501).

The afterblow calibration may cause the blower motor to operate in a series of operating cycles which, over time, may cause the battery to drain. This is more likely to occur if the vehicle is not driven long enough between ignition cycles to maintain a sufficient battery state of charge.

Until further notice, it is recommended that the afterblow feature not be enabled, to prevent the potential of a dead battery. Also disable the afterblow feature if a vehicle has an intermittent dead battery condition that cannot be duplicated.
Old May 4th, 2011, 8:37 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

afterblow...if they just put a cabin air filter on the darn thing they would not have to worry about drying the condensor out so much because it would be clean in the 1st place
Old May 4th, 2011, 3:24 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Do you know that filters are placed downstream of the evap?
Old May 4th, 2011, 5:58 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I believe the afterblow feature is for reducing the musty smell you can get from a wet warm coil sitting in an otherwise unventilated environment when the vehicle is not running...
Old May 4th, 2011, 6:19 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Which is caused by the mildew that will set up shop in the warm, damp environment of the evap housing. Yuk.
Old May 5th, 2011, 1:16 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

bzy730, have you had the vehicle into your dealership to diagnose and check to see if the document provided here applies to your vehicle? Thank you for keeping us updated on this issue for you. I hope your dealer is able to resolve this for you.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old May 5th, 2011, 2:12 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 73shark
Do you know that filters are placed downstream of the evap?
in my Acura the filters are right before the evap and the air flow - so I was thinking it helps keep that clean. therefore if there is any left over moisture at least it is not sticking to the dirty crap that is on the coil surface.
maybe you are referring to another design?

in our Tahoe I always turn off the AC for the last 30 seconds or so of driving and blow regular outside air through to dry everything out. now my wife drives it 80% of the time and I am sure she does this 0% of the time...so I wish we had filters to help keep it all clean!
Old May 5th, 2011, 2:24 PM
CF Active Member

One of the suggestions for the GM 360 (Trailblazer,Envoy, Rainier) series was to turn the heater to high and max heat and burn any residue that may be present and also to get rid of any musty smell.

Quick Reply: Battery or charging system issues