Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Battery problems

Search this Thread

Old November 24th, 2008, 3:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery problems

recently I purchased a 07 3LT Tahoe.. love it but have a few small issues, mainly the battery. On a regular basis the volt meter reads at a steady 14 but during city driving or on startup recently, the volt meter would dip down considerably under 14. So I dropped the car off at the dealer and they said could be a faulty battery installing a new one. A few days later problem occurs again so question is... is this normal for the battery to sway from 10-14 daily?

I'm not running any aftermarket radio or devices, completely stock. Sometimes during the drive around town I can see the volt meter fluctuate gradually.

Old November 24th, 2008, 4:45 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts
Default RE: Battery problems

It is normal for the gauge in the IP to show a lower charging state, the generator/altanator will only charge the battery if it is in need of a charge.
First thing in the morning it will probably show charging but once you get to driving it will drop down once charged, just like a battery charger would do.
Old November 24th, 2008, 6:01 PM
CF Junior Member

I have found this to be true too. I saw in the manual RTFM ;-) that the Tahoe has some form of intelligent charging system that determines how much charging the battery needs and charges accordingly.
Old November 24th, 2008, 6:47 PM
CF Beginner

My dealer and salesman forwarned me about the way this worked. They knew that I pay attention to gauges and dials and would bring it back to them IF I noticed the charging hand flucuating. They tell me this is normal and is a part of the attempt to improve mileagehowever small?

Good luck with the Tahoethis 2008 is my 5th one. Love them!!
Old November 24th, 2008, 10:39 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the replies guys... I had them check it out anyways because the other day my car failed to start and had to get GM roadside jump the car, but the dealer said maybe its the battery and went ahead and replaced that. Hopefully that's the end of that. Thanks for the help!

Old November 25th, 2008, 7:28 PM
CF Beginner

Good chance it was the batttery,as I had the same problem and a check of the battery indicated a cell was shorting (according to the dealer). But check the thread I had titled "Dead Battery" because ShawnVW (I think) put out some useful info about this problem.
Old November 25th, 2008, 9:07 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I wouldnt expect the factory battery to last more then about 2 yrs, its like the batteries that come with some remotes, yeah they work and do the job but they really never last that long.
Old November 25th, 2008, 10:21 PM
CF Beginner

hmmmm i wouldnt say that....my brothers battery is still original in his 94 s10 blazer...never replaced still original delco....most batteries id give 2-3 years...