Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Brake Controller

Search this Thread

Old September 10th, 2006, 10:54 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake Controller

Hello All:

I still have my brake controller out of my 05 3/4 ton Suburban. Will my old harness work on my new Tahoe? Did they change the harness?

Also, anyone have any pics of where they mounted it?
Old September 10th, 2006, 12:27 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Brake Controller

The old harness will not work.

Starting with the all new 2007 Full Size Utilities there is no longer an electric trailer brake controller pigtail harness. The trailer brake controller wiring is now part of the I/P wiring harness and the blunt cut wires are located under the left IP, behind the DLC. There are four blunt cut wires in this harness which are:
Red/Black - 12 Volt power supply (30A Stud 2)
Dark Blue - Trailer brake output voltage
White - Ground
Light Blue/White - Stop light input

Note: The Red/Black wire must be connected to Stud 2 (30 Amp) of the UBEC. The wire is located between the left fender and UBEC. Do not confuse this circuit with 742 which is also Red/Black taped to the harness under the master cylinder, which is the 12 volt supply to the 7-way trailer connector and connects to Stud 1 (40 Amp).

Old September 10th, 2006, 8:15 PM
CF Active Member

ZX...

Thanks! I think the harness seemed a little easier.
Old October 6th, 2006, 2:04 PM
CF Active Member

Dave:

I'm installing my brake controller this weekend and have just a few questions. I'm not sure what a "left IP" "DLC" and"UBEC" are. I'm just a lowly salesman, I feel fairly confident that I can wire up my controller, I'm just not sure what all the acronyms stand for. As always your help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason
Old October 6th, 2006, 2:21 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

IP = Instrument Panel (Dashboard).

DLC = Data Link Connector (Little black port under the dash straight below the steering wheel where Tech-2 is plugged in) also called the Diagnostic Port.

UBEC = Underhood Bused Electrical Center (Black plastic fuse box under the hood driver side).
Old October 6th, 2006, 6:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will also need a metric nut(I think it is a 13mm) to connect the 12v power supply to stud 2 on the UBEC.
Old October 7th, 2006, 11:03 AM
CF Active Member

Thanks Again!!!!!!
Old October 8th, 2006, 12:09 AM
CF Beginner

So I believe I found the wires you referenced. There is a red wire that is taped to the wire harness between the fender and the UBEC - assume that is what gets connected to the Stud 2? How do you access the bottom of the UBEC - is it easy to deal with? The UBEC controls everything right? Are there any safeguards that should be done first or can you just pull the UBEC up and connect the wire?

Also, when looking at the lid for the UBEC, location 2 (I assume that is stud 2 as well) is listed as ESC/ALC EXH (30A) - is this the correct location?

Thanks!
Old October 8th, 2006, 12:55 PM
CF Beginner

I installed a brake controller a few weeks ago and yes you do have the correct wire.
You DO NOT have to access the bottom of the UBEC. That was also my first thought. When you remove the cover the studs are located on the front outside of the UBEC. The eyelet is already attached on the 12v power wire and will only fit the correct stud.
Old October 16th, 2006, 3:12 PM
CF Active Member

Hello :

I was able to get my brake controller installed over the weekend. All the help from you and Dave (ZX) was great. FYI it is an 8MM nut and a 13MM wrench to hook up the power.

Thanks,

Jason

Quick Reply: Brake Controller