Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Broken Exterior Door Handles

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2014, 9:11 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

High$ Welcome to the forum...
I believe one of the issues with the handles breaking was due to too long of a screw being used when attaching... I don't know if that is the issue you had with the broken handles but its something to keep in mind when replacing them or having them replaced...
Old March 6th, 2014, 9:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by High$
I have a 2009 extended cab. Handle #3 (chrome) just failed. This is two failures now on the passenger door, and one on the drivers' side.

Has GM issued a redesigned handle? If so, I'd appreciate a part # so I don't buy a trash handle again. Are there after market handles available that are better than the OEM??
GM has NOT issued any redesigned handles. They will not recal the handles.
I have not found any after market handles. I wish they would just step up to the plate. This issue has been around for years, and is not going away.
Old March 6th, 2014, 9:52 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I picked up a handle from eBay. The seller was Tennesseeautosales. I don't know if it's OEM or aftermarket. My guess would be aftermarket. But the fit and feel is way better than the original. The original felt so flimsy. I knew it was only a matter of time before it came off. The others oe's feel pretty flimsy too but if it ain't broke I ain't fixin'!!
Old March 7th, 2014, 11:15 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the responses to my question!

I ordered a handle same as trainwreck91's. It is manufactured by Dorman (that is what Tennesseeautosales on ebay sells).

I hope it is an after market instead of OEM.
Old March 10th, 2014, 11:40 PM
CF Beginner

Unhappy 2009 Tahoe LTZ - Broken Front Passenger Door Handle

I too would like to work with someone from customer service. I recently (about 1 month ago) purchased a 2009 Tahoe LTZ. This evening, my 8 year old son managed to pull half of the front passenger door handle off while simply trying to open the door. If there are any customer service reps monitoring these boards, please respond.
Old March 13th, 2014, 12:56 PM
CF Beginner

Angry Defective Chrome Door Handles

I as well, have now had all four of my chrome door handles on my 2008 AV break! Going to the stealership today to have the fourth one replaced, which is now not covered by warranty, they want $180 to have it repaired! I thought I already paid $50K for functioning door handles?!

So, I want to get this right, it's quite clear there is a defective part here that GM denies to accept, that I now have to pay for?! NOT! Called GM Customer Care today and opened a case with them and made it clear, I'm not paying a dime for these POS door handles to get repaired. We'll see where, and how far that goes.

GM, it's time to recall this part, let's not wait years like the ol' "ignition switch" issues you're now needing to deal with!! Seems to me, with all the information I've been finding about these inferior/defective door handles, and all the numerous complaints, one could form a class-action lawsuit quite easily. If I don't get the resolution I'm looking for, i.e., GM, you guys cover the costs associated with your crappy plastic parts, then I may have to check into such a path.

Come on GM, get your s**t together, you're going to loose another customer (like so many have said on this thread....) to shoddy quality and customer service. You'll drive me right back to FORD where I came from. I reluctantly bought my Chevy over the Ford of that year because I liked the design and accoutrements the Chevy had....but, if quality is sacrificed, I'm not interested! 93K miles/11 years out of my last F-150 without a single issue....damn did I make a mistake!

Last edited by phatcad66; March 14th, 2014 at 12:03 PM.
Old March 13th, 2014, 3:34 PM
CF Beginner

I followed Trainwreck's advice and bought a Dorman (brand name) handle from Amazon. It was $25 or $30. The part of the handle where the forward screw attaches was more substantial than the OEM handle. All three of the handles that failed on my truck came loose on the forward end.

I won't say how long it took me to replace it but I have some advice for anyone who tries it.........try not to drop the screws into the door frame!!!
Old March 13th, 2014, 8:22 PM
CF Beginner

Angry POS Door Handles

Originally Posted by High$
I followed Trainwreck's advice and bought a Dorman (brand name) handle from Amazon. It was $25 or $30. The part of the handle where the forward screw attaches was more substantial than the OEM handle. All three of the handles that failed on my truck came loose on the forward end.

I won't say how long it took me to replace it but I have some advice for anyone who tries it.........try not to drop the screws into the door frame!!!

Thanks for posting, I went ahead and ordered one up! $29 is better than $180! Went to the stealership and they gave me the polite version of "FU, we're not covering it". Thanks Jim at Knudtsen Chevrolet in Post Falls, ID, nice to know you stand behind your product! That after telling me you know the part is defective, but GM won't recall it since it's not a "life-threatening" issue! Great way GM does business! GM, best of luck on your current "ignition switch" recall issue, I hope you get massively sued and pay huge in decreased sales you Putzes!

You guys know how to keep people wanting to buy another Chevrolet (or GM product for that matter....)!! $29 and some labor will cost you a hell of a lot more in the future....I'd love to trade my '99 Vette in for a new C7, but I will NEVER buy a GM product again!

Last edited by phatcad66; March 14th, 2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old March 14th, 2014, 8:42 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default yep

it's official... i'm starting a place for those never buying GM again lol.

between the door handles, dash cracks, power windows, door locks, AFM, and general crappyness of these $50k+ vehicles...

we need a place build a united front. and that front will be never buying GM. that's the only way they will learn.

they should have gone under. how dare the gov't interfere in free market business...

you make a crap product, you fail, why were they bailed out with MY money?! I didn't have a choice.

Ford didn't take any money.
Toyota didn't get any money.
I DIDN'T get any money.

i'm tempted to drive my POS tahoe to GM's headquarters and light it on fire in the parking lot.

Please note (for law enforcement purposes) I have no plans to do that, however since it's my property I'm fairly sure I am allowed to burn something I own, to the ground.
Old March 14th, 2014, 11:31 AM
CF Beginner

Angry Class-Action?

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
it's official... i'm starting a place for those never buying GM again lol.

between the door handles, dash cracks, power windows, door locks, AFM, and general crappyness of these $50k+ vehicles...

we need a place build a united front. and that front will be never buying GM. that's the only way they will learn.

they should have gone under. how dare the gov't interfere in free market business...

you make a crap product, you fail, why were they bailed out with MY money?! I didn't have a choice.

Ford didn't take any money.
Toyota didn't get any money.
I DIDN'T get any money.

i'm tempted to drive my POS tahoe to GM's headquarters and light it on fire in the parking lot.

Please note (for law enforcement purposes) I have no plans to do that, however since it's my property I'm fairly sure I am allowed to burn something I own, to the ground.
Anyone interested in joining me for a class-action lawsuit against GM about this door handle issue? I've begun the process with several well known firms who specialize in class-actions suits. All provide free case evaluations, and I'm sure, with the scope of potential affected people here, they just might be interested!

I'm not asking for some outrageous money here, I just refuse to pay a dime for defective parts. This problem started when my vehicle was one year old and has steadily continued to plague me ever since. I know my truck is 6 years old now and out of warranty (as they're always quick to add in) but this is ridiculous! CLEARLY A DEFECTIVE PART THAT GM HAS KNOWN ABOUT FOR MANY, MANY YEARS!

I'm not going to spend a bunch of time, and I'm certainly not going to pay something to an attorney for this, but if a class-action attorney wants to take this (knowing they'll make money if it does move forward) than I'm up for it! I'm just not paying for these crappy handles!

Last edited by phatcad66; March 14th, 2014 at 12:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Broken Exterior Door Handles