Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Broken Exterior Door Handles

Search this Thread

Old September 20th, 2016, 9:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These are still great trucks, sad to see people leave the brand for something so simple, but I completely understand. GM should WAKE UP and understand these items 100% touch items like door handles and door lock actuators are critical to keeping customers satisfied.

I doubt a lawsuit will ever happen, or if it does, get anywhere. Why not just install the GruvenParts.com door insert fix as described above and move on with life ?
Old September 27th, 2016, 9:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why? Because companies that do not own up to their mistakes and leave the customer to pay for a design flaw is poor managment. The company i worked for would have fixed every door handle that was sent out with an apology! Expensive? Yes! But i garantee that they would have kept the customer happy and that pays off in the long run!
Old October 8th, 2016, 10:54 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Banjoboy
Why? Because companies that do not own up to their mistakes and leave the customer to pay for a design flaw is poor managment. The company i worked for would have fixed every door handle that was sent out with an apology! Expensive? Yes! But i garantee that they would have kept the customer happy and that pays off in the long run!
My 2009 Silverado ext chrome driver side just broke fro the 2nd time. It is breaking where the cable attaches to the lever. The two attachment holes keeping breaking out.

Last edited by bkmont; October 8th, 2016 at 11:56 AM.
Old November 25th, 2016, 5:03 PM
CF Beginner

Default broken door handle

Originally Posted by rjj
I recently purchased a used 2007 Suburban LTZ. This weekend, both passenger side exterior door handles pulled away from the body. Is this common? I took it to the dealer, and they want $165.00 a piece to replace them. The car is out of factory warranty, but it seems to me that they would replace these at no cost on a vehicle that cost $60K new.
Try $260 to replace one on driver door what a joke !! Door handles never broke on my ford : /
Old November 25th, 2016, 5:08 PM
CF Beginner

Default broken door handle

Originally Posted by jmzvet
4 new chrome handles cost about $100 and 2 hours to install. $160 a piece seems a bit high!
Cost me $260 to get one door handle repaired on my 2012 silverado
Old December 28th, 2016, 8:55 AM
CF Beginner

Do you have a You Tube video of how to replace the parts?
Old December 29th, 2016, 7:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by coolclare23
Do you have a You Tube video of how to replace the parts?
I dont have a video for the installation of the stainless steel inserts but this is not difficult. You will basically remove the door handle and work on this on a work bench.

There is an installation procedure also listed on the website product page at the bottom :

Stainless Machined GM Door Handle Inserts - Gruven Parts

*** Installation Instructions ***

1. Remove exterior door handle from vehicle.

2. If threaded inserts are missing, proceed to step 3. If threaded inserts are still attached, use a 50-75mm (2-3 inch long) M6 x 1.0 bolt to thread fully into the insert. It may take a bit of torquing once the bolt bottoms out on the handle, but soon the OEM threaded insert will become free from the handle body. Be careful not to apply too much force to the handle. If the inserts do not easily come out, you can also heat the bolt using a lighter, being careful not to burn any of the plastic handle. This will soften the plastic around the old insert and allow it to come out using a pair of pliers. Discard the OEM short threaded inserts.

3. Apply Permatex Plastic Welder P/N 84115 (readily available at Hardware stores) or equivalent to the outside of the GruvenParts billet stainless insert. A nice light coating is all that is needed. Be careful not to get any epoxy on the inside threads, as those will be used to reattach the handle to the car door.

4. Using an 11mm socket, slowly thread the GruvenParts billet stainless insert into the handle body at its appropriate location. Ensure the insert is fully engaged, with the hex head snug against the handle body. Allow epoxy to cure fully. Be careful not to get any epoxy on the inside threads, as those will be used to reattach the handle to the car door.

5. Reinstall exterior door handle. Test handle before reinstalling interior trim panel.
Old September 12th, 2017, 5:31 PM
CF Beginner

It is a shame that chevy has cheapened their vehicles this much. I own two now and have had broken handles on both. Two on the Tahoe and one on the blazer. This is totally unacceptable on vehicles that are this expensive.
Old September 13th, 2017, 6:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Agreed 100%. At least we have this fix for it :

GRUVENPARTS.COM BILLET STAINLESS EXTERIOR DOOR HANDLE INSERTS FOR 2007-2014 GM TRUCKS - Click Here for the Product Page !
Old February 24th, 2018, 2:14 AM
CF Beginner

Default Poor quality door handles

I am on my second set of door handle; replaced ALL at least once and now am on THIRD front passenger door.. This, on my 2013 Chevrolet Suburban LT. Dealer basically said tough luck.

I have never owned a vehicle with such poor quality on something as basic as a door handle. I have previously owned another Suburban and also a Tahoe. Previous ones did not have this flaw. Cheap plastic, likely made in China. Shame on you Chevrolet. I am sure I am not the only one with this issue; You should admit the flaw and replace them.

Quick Reply: Broken Exterior Door Handles