Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Broken Exterior Door Handles

Search this Thread

Old October 6th, 2011, 10:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys. MDTAHOE my issue is with the outside handle, I have yet to experience the razor blade interior defect.....then again, I have only owned the truck for 3 weeks.
Old October 17th, 2011, 2:26 PM
CF Beginner

For aftermarket door handles check out www.DormanProducts.com to find your part numbers for your specific handles. I just purchased one for my '07 LTZ for $32 on amazon.

You can also pick them up (special order) from you local auto parts store that sells Dorman products. O'Reily Autoparts does carry them.
Old November 1st, 2011, 1:48 PM
CF Beginner

Hi all, I live in Dubai and own a 2009 Tahoe
Although this an old subject, I recently had my share of this problem as the door handle got loose and had to be replaced. My car had 63KM and my Warranty covered only up to 60KM. The problem happened when the car was at around 51K but I was lazy to get it to the shop and decided to wait for the scheduled maintenance. So I paid for it.
My concern is that I know at least 10 at my company and some friends who own a similar cars (Tahoe or Denali's) and all of them had the same problem. One of them had the problem in 3 doors and he actually had to enter the car from the passenger door. I am surprised that CHEVEROLET or GMC does not recognize this a manufacture defect. The dealer over here showed my a large box that was filled to the top with broken handels that were replaced. Isn't that a reason for GM to wake up and admit it and resolve the problem. My other point is; Am I going to face the same problem with the newly replaced door handles?
I would realy re-think the next time I buy a new car. They lost a customer and the onse I will not recommend them to buy it.

Last edited by latif99; November 1st, 2011 at 1:52 PM. Reason: errors
Old November 3rd, 2011, 5:11 PM
CF Beginner

Replaced 2 with one broken!!!

Sad plastic casting on the most used item on the truck.
Old February 1st, 2012, 1:19 PM
CF Beginner

Angry Broken Exterior Door handles

Originally Posted by rjj
I recently purchased a used 2007 Suburban LTZ. This weekend, both passenger side exterior door handles pulled away from the body. Is this common? I took it to the dealer, and they want $165.00 a piece to replace them. The car is out of factory warranty, but it seems to me that they would replace these at no cost on a vehicle that cost $60K new.

All four exterior door handles are broken on my 2007 Tahoe. This is a $48,000 Tahoe. With-in two years of purchase all door handles were broken but they refused to cover them on warrenty. This is obviously a factory defect and Chevy should be called on it and demanded to pay for the $165.00 per door hand to repair.
Old February 1st, 2012, 1:56 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default GM quality

GM quality strikes again
Old February 1st, 2012, 6:42 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Bonnie Parmenter,

I would like to look into this issue further for you. Could you please PM me your VIN number and the name of the dealer you worked with?

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old February 1st, 2012, 10:31 PM
CF Beginner

I had the same problem, so far it happened on 3 of the four doors. The Mechanic at my local dealer told me it was a common problem specific to the chrome package and replaced them at no cost to me...and yes, I was over my warranty.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 2:22 PM
CF Beginner

You're going to have to be very careful putting them back on, but I would use Gorilla Glue. It wont come off and it is way cheaper than any thing else, but it wont clean up.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 2:36 PM
CF Beginner

Wink

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Bonnie Parmenter,

I would like to look into this issue further for you. Could you please PM me your VIN number and the name of the dealer you worked with?

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service
The Dealer was Kendal Chevrolet in Eugene, Oregon. The Vin #1GNFK13077R293236. Owner Aaron Whitsell
Thanks, Bonnie Parmenter

Quick Reply: Broken Exterior Door Handles