Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Broken off rear window defroster connection

Search this Thread

Old August 2nd, 2016, 7:00 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Broken off rear window defroster connection

I tell ya when it rains it pours man! I just replaced the front calipers and flex brake lines on my 07 Tahoe, and now this evening I start packing up my Tahoe for a visit to see my folks, and I see that driver's side connection for the rear defroster is completely broken off from the glass. My wife and kids just returned from a few days in PA, and I know one of them did this, but no one is confessing. Can this be repaired? Or is the only fix replacing the rear glass? AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Broken off rear window defroster connection-img_1235.jpg   Broken off rear window defroster connection-img_1233.jpg  

Last edited by Typerod; August 2nd, 2016 at 7:09 PM.
Old August 2nd, 2016, 8:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it can be soldered back on, its not much fun and you need to use silver solder but it is possible.
Old August 2nd, 2016, 9:36 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

First thing to do is to check to make sure that the one that is still attached is slack when the window is shut. If it's not slack, stretch it until it is. Some on the forum have successfully used the kit that is used to repair broken defroster lines which is basically a conductive epoxy to reattach the terminal to the window.

Of course you will want to stretch this one also before reattaching.
Old August 2nd, 2016, 11:03 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

You can try this stuff - specifically designed for the task. Click HERE

In all honesty, I tried the repair three times with this stuff - couldn't get it to work. Tabs kept coming off. But I think the previous owner really hacked it up, too. Besides, my windows are so deeply tinted back there, it really doesn't make much of a difference, and I've got the oversized towing mirrors that are heated, so I'm pretty much GTG even with no rear defroster.
Old August 3rd, 2016, 10:00 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by cleveland63b
it can be soldered back on, its not much fun and you need to use silver solder but it is possible.
Originally Posted by 73shark
First thing to do is to check to make sure that the one that is still attached is slack when the window is shut. If it's not slack, stretch it until it is. Some on the forum have successfully used the kit that is used to repair broken defroster lines which is basically a conductive epoxy to reattach the terminal to the window.

Of course you will want to stretch this one also before reattaching.
Originally Posted by intheburbs
You can try this stuff - specifically designed for the task. Click HERE

In all honesty, I tried the repair three times with this stuff - couldn't get it to work. Tabs kept coming off. But I think the previous owner really hacked it up, too. Besides, my windows are so deeply tinted back there, it really doesn't make much of a difference, and I've got the oversized towing mirrors that are heated, so I'm pretty much GTG even with no rear defroster.
Thanks all! My back window is limo tinted. But it still irks me to just leave it broken like that, lol. I take that I need to scrape the white coating on the "conductor tab" before I try any of the suggested fixes, right? It seems that white coating would be conductive too, but I dont know all about this issue.
Old August 3rd, 2016, 8:09 PM
CF Veteran

there was a service bulletin for a certain range of vehicles that I think had instructions on how they recommended you solder it back on, I'll try to look later if I remember
Old August 3rd, 2016, 9:18 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

If you elect to use the epoxy or solder, the terminal and glass should both be scrupulously clean.
Old August 4th, 2016, 8:16 AM
CF Veteran

#03-08-48-006J is the bulletin, not sure if you can find it on google or anything. On a side note if you do go this route keep in mind under warranty it only pays a guy .3 (18min) to do the entire job....oh the joys of working for a dealer.
Old August 5th, 2016, 8:01 PM
CF Senior Member

there was a service bulletin for a certain range of vehicles that I think had instructions on how they recommended you solder it back on, I'll try to look later if I remember
Originally Posted by 73shark
If you elect to use the epoxy or solder, the terminal and glass should both be scrupulously clean.
#03-08-48-006J is the bulletin, not sure if you can find it on google or anything. On a side note if you do go this route keep in mind under warranty it only pays a guy .3 (18min) to do the entire job....oh the joys of working for a dealer.
Thank you shark and cleveland for your help! The bulletin number is especially helpful, to understand the repair, thanks again! I can always count on the members here!
Old August 6th, 2016, 2:28 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

There are a couple of threads on this topic

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tah...007-sub-63126/

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tah...efogger-57659/

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tah...ell-off-39447/

Quick Reply: Broken off rear window defroster connection