Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Which to buy? Tahoe or Suburban?

Search this Thread

Old November 1st, 2014, 8:11 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which to buy? Tahoe or Suburban?

Hi. New member here. Looking for opinions from people that were deciding between the Tahoe and the Suburban (or the Yukon and the Yukon XL). Currently have a family of four (will probably have a family of five by the end of it) and a dog. We live in Charlotte, NC but travel to Charleston, SC (three hour ride) about six times a year and up north (eight hour ride) about two times a year.

Our initial thoughts are that the Tahoe, while nice with the third row seating, just doesn't have enough trunk space for what our needs are. The "premium" to go from the Tahoe to the Suburban looks to be between $2,500 and $3,000 which doesn't seem to be bad.

You could achieve cargo space with the Tahoe by using a car-top cargo carrier but not sure I want to mess with that.

Anybody else out there been in a similar situation that can give me some opinions on why they chose a Tahoe vs. Suburban or a Suburban vs. Tahoe?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
Old November 1st, 2014, 9:26 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Family of 5 here.

No experience with a Tahoe/Yukon - never really considered them. Yes, they can seat 7, but you have almost no cargo room behind the third row.

We're on our second Suburban. Fantastic for road trips - two weeks' worth of luggage and stuff can fit in the cargo area. I hate driving around with one of those roof haulers, looking like a tourist. On road trips, my daughter sits in the back row, and my sons in the middle. Everybody has room to stretch out with their books and games.

My kids have grown up in a Suburban, and now my daughter drives one to high school. She took her road test on it, and loves driving it.

I will own a Suburban until the day I die. I could write a few pages of raves about the Burbs. Compare the Tahoe/Suburban side by side, drive them, and you'll be convinced. Especially with the dog along with you.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 6:48 AM
CF Junior Member

+1 on the Suburban. We (family of 5) had originally considered a Tahoe, but got a great deal on a Suburban instead. So glad we did. The cargo room is great. Haven't had problems fitting anything in it since we bought it over 3 years ago. Perfect for vacations and road trips with plenty of room for passengers and all their stuff.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 9:31 AM
CF Junior Member

Another family of 5 here (3 kids almost 5, 2 and baby. Check out my post in this thread for carseat space https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tah...25/#post287729). Looked at both Tahoe and Burb. Only thing that swayed us was the extra cargo space of the burb and the nominal extra cost it was to get it. I actually was turned off by the burb's wheelbase at first but after seeing how little space behind the third row there was in the Tahoe, the decision was easy and have not looked back. Didn't look at any Yukons but if the price was right for a Yukon XL unit, might have gone either way.

Ya, I would stay away from those car top carriers. Those things will really affect your fuel efficiency (where I'd be lucky to get 18-20 MPG in ideal conditions without one), which in the long run, will just eat up any savings you might have had by going with a Tahoe or Yukon.

If anything, you might want to consider a hitch mounted box if you go with the shorter wheelbase. Much easier to load, no wind resistance so quieter ride and doesn't really affect fuel economy. I particularly like how they come with full running, directional and brake lights along with a lighted license plate mount. WIth that said, the largest I;ve seen of these are 20 cu ft which still doesn't get you the ~45 cu ft behind the third row of the suburban.

Last edited by suburbansr4me; November 2nd, 2014 at 1:17 PM.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 11:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

With a family that size go for the suburban! We are a family of four, but both kids out of house now and still have occasion to load the car up! We have two subs at this time. Couldn't bear to part with the 93 when the tranny died so replaced it, got my bride an '05 and let the kids drive the '93. Great to haul the college crap and move the kids out crap too!
Old November 3rd, 2014, 10:48 AM
CF Junior Member

Go with the Sub. You won't regret it.

'06 Black Sub here and love it.
Old November 4th, 2014, 7:05 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default burban

for the 3k... burban.
Old November 4th, 2014, 5:27 PM
CF Active Member

Sub all the way
Old November 7th, 2014, 12:27 PM
CF Beginner

Family of five here three boys, 3,7, and 10, between the baseball bags, wagon, cooler and golf clubs we went with the suburban. the tahoe wouldnt fit a 1/4 of the stuff we carry on a regular weekend. took the suburban camping, we had more room than what we did in my old 07 gmc crew cab
Old December 2nd, 2014, 12:45 AM
CF Junior Member

Suburban.
I went from 2 burbs in the past to a tahoe...

Wish I hadnt. Simply the ride quality alone is better in the burb

Quick Reply: Which to buy? Tahoe or Suburban?