Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Buying 2005 Z71 Suburban

Search this Thread

Old October 3rd, 2015, 8:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying 2005 Z71 Suburban

I have agred to buy a 2005 Z71 Suburban with 162k on it. It looks good and well cared for. I have been warned about the 4wd system. The PO just had the transfer case motor changed, apparently the second time. It also needs a new water pump. The PO mentioned that he had added transmission fluid to it, so this is a concern of mine

Any advice on how to inspect this thing?

I am very good with a wrench and do everything outside of engine removal and transmission work.
Old October 3rd, 2015, 9:13 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

You can get a BG service on the drivetrain components and it comes w/ a warranty. Got $1,500 when tranny went out on 2004 Tahoe.
Old October 3rd, 2015, 9:52 PM
CF Beginner

What is a BG?
Old October 4th, 2015, 9:58 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Eaglewwit
What is a BG?
https://www.bgprod.com/

My $.02, besides the usual you'd do for any used vehicle, check these things....

Has the fuel pump been replaced? If not, it'll surely need it soon. Turn on the ignition without starting the engine - listen for a high-pitched whine by the fuel tank. Whine means the pump's on its last legs.
The A/C system is problematic - make sure the clutch and compressor are working well.
The exhaust manifold gaskets tend to develop leaks.
Check the front wheel hubs/bearings.
Make sure all the windows raise and lower smoothly and quickly. Window regulators are a common issue.
Check the brakes - make sure the pads are good and there's no warping of rotors.
Look for rust/bubbling on the body - specifically the rear rockers and the inside of the middle doors. Not much you can do about it, but it could be a bargaining chip.
Old October 4th, 2015, 9:03 PM
CF Beginner

intheburbs,

Thanks for the advice. At $7500 it looks like a decent deal. I am gonna go over it well. However I understand that I will probably have to have to transmission rebuilt.
Old October 5th, 2015, 6:26 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

$7500 seems a little high to me, especially if you're concerned about the transmission, and the fact that it needs a new water pump.

But just because it needed fluid doesn't mean there's something wrong. My '01 has lived a hard life, with 210k miles on it. I've abused it enough (towing big things) that it's on its fourth rear end, but still has the original engine and transmission.
Old October 5th, 2015, 10:38 PM
CF Beginner

I bought it, I didn't think $7500 was too much. From my research it was a good deal. Overall the burb is in excellent shape for its age. For a GM product the interior was amazing at 10 years old. Quite happy with it, now I need to find all the little quirks and fix them.