Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Buying chevy tahoe or chevy suburban, bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old April 16th, 2014, 4:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying chevy tahoe or chevy suburban, bad idea?

So I'm considering to purchase a 2009 chevy suburban or a chevy tahoe. But I've heard from many people that it's not worth it because chevy makes bad cars. I've also heard many cars like the tahoe and the suburban have transmission and fuel pump issues. Anyone that has owned any of these cars or knows someone who has, what are your opinions? Good or bad idea?
Old April 16th, 2014, 8:47 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default well..

I hate mine most of all, but that's more directly related to price vs. expectation vs. reality. For $55,000 I expected perfection, which was partially my belief that $55,000 was a lot of money, and that the Tahoe was as good as it looked. but, beauty is only skin deep...

After a few more years of learning say 5 or so , I know that while $55,000 is a chunk of change, my next vehicle will approach $95,000 new and is decidedly far from perfect in many aspects, but amazing in others. I've adjusted my expectations and hope to have a better experience, outside the traditional car types...

but, back to Tahoes;

if you buy one used the price will be much more inline with the reality of the vehicles.

don't go older than 09, that's when the 6 speed auto was added.

For the price of used, they are fine vehicles. I'll never drop $55,000 on a new one ever, (nor personally buy a used Tahoe), however I can say that if you are shopping for a used full size SUV, the Tahoe is a fine choice.

Many of my issues were minor and electrical, none of which seriously hampered my ability to move about. (the single thing all cars must do)...

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; April 16th, 2014 at 8:50 AM.
Old April 16th, 2014, 11:02 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would actually go BEFORE 09. Think about it, if they were going bankrupt, don't you think they probably started to cut corners to save a couple $ on each vehicle? Also, I know many people who HATE the 6 speed in the 09's and 10's. We have the 4 speed and and for the most part it is perfect. Doesn't shift a million times, and is simple.

The price of these things is way to high. I looked around for an 08 suburban, they are asking $20K for an 08 with almost or over a 100k miles! HELL NO! At 100K thats when everything breaks!

Really I would go for an early 2000's from down south, plenty of them (they were actually affordable back then!) and they are a much nicer ride. I personally am never buying a chevy again. I sadly just found out I didn't get the job I interviewed for back in Texas so I wont be buying an Excursion to replace our burb.

Lets put pricing in persective here. I bought our 2002 Burb in 2003 with 17K miles on it. It had everything BUT: 6.0L or 8.1L engine, 4x4, 4-wheel steer, and sunroof. But while lacking those things it also had aftermarket REAL wood trim, extremely plush seats (oh they were heaven), a beautiful ride (smoothed out every bump), dual exhaust, and very little road noise. We bought it at Mortiz Chevy in Fort-Worth for $20K!! It was 1 year old with 1 owner! Brand new around mid $40's I think. Our 2007 (2006 customized order) suburban opted out, missing 6.0L and power folding steps, was over $55K NEW! (have the invoice!) We bought it in the beginning of 2009 with 50K miles on it from our friends and paid the difference between the 2007 and 2002, at the time was about $25K. A 2014 opted suburban, over $66K!! For the same as the 2007! ($11K more!) and the new 2015's, OVER $77K!!! So for $77K you can have a suburban or for $86K you can have a Cadillac which truly is a nicer vehicle which still uses the same crap under the skin as the chevy, but at-least it will have comfy seats and a nice 420 hp motor....
Old April 16th, 2014, 6:44 PM
CF Active Member

I love my Suburban 2500 and would love a new one. Of course GM decided not to offer
a 2500 anymore. Thats ok cause personally i think the 2015's Look like Crapola. So i will be buying something else
Old April 16th, 2014, 9:09 PM
CF Beginner

I have driven many suburbans because the last company I worked for, for 9 years, had them for work vehicles for my department. They had various years and I mostly drove a 2001 which by no irony is the only year suburban I have ever owned myself and currently have as my second daily driver most months of the year since 2010. I can say the 2009 I drove for 14 months was nothing but problems, continuous ECU and engine issues along with electrical issues. I ended up driving my original 2001 work suburban when the 09 was in the shop, one of the departments at my work used the "decommissioned" suburbans for local and on grounds trips and I always grabbed the 2001 if it was available when the newer burbs they gave us were in for repairs which was often. I drove a 05 as well for almost 3 years and that was my second favorite year. I'm rating each year by not only how reliable it was but by the overall performance, enjoyability and experiences with each one. I had to drive a 97, 93 and a 87 and while none of those had reliability issues they drove poorly compared to the gen 10s and above(2000+).
I did tons of research before I decided on a year to buy and even though the 2001 was the year I had the best overall experience with at work the 2001 was also the highest selling year and highest rated year through Edmunds and most auto review sites.
Suburbans depreciate rapidly after the decade mark so if you don't mind an older model the 8-12 year old mark is the way to go. I was lucky and found a 2001 in 2010 that had 91k on it and was used by a neat freak family who only used it to go on cross country summer trips. Cleanest 10 year old auto I had ever seen and at 8k from his asking 10,500 was a steal. Well 8k and a old .44 mag lever rifle that the old owner was a big fan of so almost 9k.
Being a new 2015 is 60,000 and a 2009 in decent condition with 60-120k is still hovering at 30,000 if I was looking again I'd go gen 10(2000-2006) under or at 100k and stick some cash into it if needed.
My 2001 was about 8,500. I am rebuilding engine with cam job for 2k in July. New tires and wheels and leveling kit with new shocks next month(STAY AWAY FROM AUTORIDE!) for 2,500(overkill) My interior was near mint but I did custom realtree camo seats front and second row for 500, my third seat I sold and have custom speakerbox, toolbox and gunrack there along with netting and shade cover. I did about 1k in exterior parts, custom grille, tail lights, headlight ect. I did 1,500 in body work which included blacking out all chrome on bumpers and surface rust at rear quarters, back barn doors and some at bottom of rear doors. New headers with full aftermarket exhaust including the dreaded and anti-american dual catalytic convertors for 1,600. Misc upgrades and ect for about 1k. 4,000 watt stereo system with two optima batteries for about 4k. I have and will soon have finished customized 2001 4x4 suburban like new with a solid frame with a total of 135k on it for a grand total of about 21k(17k without stereo) that will last me up to or near my death. Currently I can't even find a decent 2005-2009 for less than 23,000 and 100k in miles.
To each their own and all of us have different finances and opinions and needs. I put most of my cash into my 07 vette which cost me a marriage(for the best trust me) and my first daily driver is a souped up hhr I bought from some kid who stuck too much money into it.
I COULD NOT LIVE WITHOUT MY SUBURBAN. Best auto ever made IMO. The question isn't if you should buy one, it's which year, how much too spend, new or used, aftermarket parts, lift?

As for tranny issues, no. Overall that is not a main issue for any year. Fuel pumps yes, I think every year I drove at work had to have it replaced once, but most of those had 150,000+ miles on em. It was the only "have to" repair I had to do on mine at about 100,000.

Such a general question doesn't deserve such a big reply but here it is. From a guy who's driven about 8 suburbans in gen 8, 9, 10 and 11. The only experience I have with the 12th gen the 2015 is the sticker shock.
Old April 16th, 2014, 9:14 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by LTL4life
I love my Suburban 2500 and would love a new one. Of course GM decided not to offer
a 2500 anymore. Thats ok cause personally i think the 2015's Look like Crapola. So i will be buying something else
Being I left such a long comment I feel I deserve the right to slightly hijack this thread or at least to reply to you.
I started a thread about leveling and got no replies. Have new tires and wheels and plan on doing the Bilstein 5160 shocks front and rear with the Readylift 2.5" front torsion keys and rear 1" coil spacers. How did you level, with what brands, what parts, and how does it ride now? Thanks.
Old April 16th, 2014, 11:48 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by LTL4life
Bought mine used and thank GOD I did. Awesome vehicle. 09 with 175,000 miles!!!!! runs like new!
Old April 17th, 2014, 12:12 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How in the hell are you guys nearing 200K and HAPPY? Its never ending work on our burb! Its only got 134K! I really, really want to get rid of it. I would be over joyed if I got more than $12K for it!
Old April 17th, 2014, 7:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

get one built after oct 2010. that is the date the afm oil burning issues were resolved in production.

Last edited by tech2; April 17th, 2014 at 7:32 AM.
Old April 17th, 2014, 8:04 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2000 LT I bought from a friend for 14000 in about 04 and it just turned 200,000. It still has the factory spark plugs in it!!! and I have only put an alternater,a water pump and a fuel pump in it in 10 yrs. I picked up an 05 LT last Oct that has 165000 on it,but looks new,for 7500. I will never pay $50000 for a vehicle. My first house didn't cost that much! I am happy with the 05,but truth be told,I have 3 E-350 Ford vans and Ford quality is WAY above GM.My first choice is an Excursion, but they stopped making them in 04 or 05, The 05 suburban has every bell and whistle on it and I am very apprehensive about what it will cost when it breaks.I have heard too many horror stories about the 07 and newer Burbs and Tahoes that I would never even consider one. Rick

Quick Reply: Buying chevy tahoe or chevy suburban, bad idea?