Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Buying chevy tahoe or chevy suburban, bad idea?

Old April 17th, 2014, 8:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 suburban

I bought a pre owned 2009 chevy suburban (LT) back in May 2013 with 55k mileage on it. Prior to that I had a 2005 GMC Yukon XL that had 120k miles which did not have any problem but got a great deal on the 09 truck and it drove nicer than my 05 Yukon.

The only issue I've had so far with my suburban was the fuel pump had to be replaced. . Other than that, I've not had anything major that was an issue.

Test drive the 09 suburban, look up the car history and also take it to your local chevy dealer. I did that with mine and my dealer told me I needed 2 tires. (the place I bought it from a mazda dealership in an automall) so I got the mazda dealer to put 2 new tires.

hope this info helps you
Old April 17th, 2014, 9:41 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well our 2002 was really fantastic. When I first saw it I knew we were buying it. I really wish it had 4X4...

Our Suburban was built either in November or December of 2006 in Mexico....

Our 2002 went to 100K and at 100K it needed intake manifold gasket, and ride height sensors... It ran beautifully off idle, at idle it was very lean due to the gasket, so our friends took care of everything after we bought their 2007 and then they made it a road trip car to go from Fort-Worth to Galveston Beach... (5 hour drive each way) Sadly, one trip down the rear u-joint bearing started to go and on the way back the rear end of the car was vibrating. Next day on the way to the dealer for a scheduled repair BAM! the rear u-joint let go, she coasted to side of the highway and the drive shaft was laying in the middle of the road... It banged up the underside pretty bad and so they went and got back their 2003~2004 Z71 that was still sitting at the dealer unsold... Sadly they told a while after it happened because I would have called the dealer and bought it back and have them repair it....

I have a hefty list for our 2007 which all starts around 95K miles...

I was looking at Excursions like crazy, stay away from a 2003 with the 6.0, if its 2003 and 7.3L BUY IT! Other than that get a late 2004 or any 2005 with the 6.0. And get ready to sink $4K into the motor to bulletproof it for life, then you are set.
Old April 17th, 2014, 7:17 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by unsub
Being I left such a long comment I feel I deserve the right to slightly hijack this thread or at least to reply to you.
I started a thread about leveling and got no replies. Have new tires and wheels and plan on doing the Bilstein 5160 shocks front and rear with the Readylift 2.5" front torsion keys and rear 1" coil spacers. How did you level, with what brands, what parts, and how does it ride now? Thanks.
I have a 3/4 ton Suburban. All that is required to level it is a Tape measure and
a wrench to turn the Torsion Bar adjusting bolts. Mine has been leveled for 3 years with Zero front end wear/problems. I had a frame/chassis shop do a full alignment after i leveled it and it tracks straight with hands off the steering wheel. I had the AC delco front shocks and the ride was decent for a 3/4 ton vehicle however one of the shocks leaked all the oil and broke inside due to the harsh winter and potholes. I recently put on a set of KYB gas shocks from Rock Auto and the ride is nice
Old April 18th, 2014, 1:26 AM
CF Beginner

Things to watch for on buying a used 09 Suburban.

Cracked dash - they all crack unless the part was replaced with the superseded part. Check around the passenger airbag and above the instrument cluster
Razorblade interior door handles - from the chrome peeling off on the top edge
Oil consumption - 5.3L’s can be oil guzzlers and may require piston and ring replacement

Peeling steering wheel spokes – if the spokes are black the coating will peel and fall off
If a used vehicle has these flaws assume no dealer or GM will fix it. You will have to pay if you want these fixed. GM Certified means nothing.

Don’t take my word for it. Spend some time reading this forum and get educated.

Last edited by 67_camaro; April 18th, 2014 at 1:28 AM.
Old April 18th, 2014, 11:41 AM
CF Beginner

The only issues I have had with GM products are with the interior quality. I have never had an issue with the engine or tranys. Have had sububans from 02 to 06 and silverados from 04 and on. Wife wanted a new tahoe and we went and did it, 2015. The interior is outstanding and the motor and trany are the same from our 09 version. I'm very happy and will probably stick with the GM products. No fuel pump or transmission problems experienced. Haven't gone over 100k yet but my daughters was, with minimal issues. Chevy runs like a striped ape and always have, Ford, nice interior but I'll pass on the motors. The active fuel management on the chevy really works. 24 mpg on the freeway at 70 mph. 455 miles to the tank on a trip, I'm happy.
Old April 18th, 2014, 4:29 PM
CF Beginner

JoeinNY. I think you need to sell all your GM autos and just find another forum to vent your frustrations at. Every post I have seen from you here have been negative and rarely if ever helpful. I don't get why someone would continue buying and using GM products if they are so angry and disappointed with them.
Old April 18th, 2014, 6:27 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by unsub
JoeinNY. I think you need to sell all your GM autos and just find another forum to vent your frustrations at. Every post I have seen from you here have been negative and rarely if ever helpful. I don't get why someone would continue buying and using GM products if they are so angry and disappointed with them.
Where's the LIKE button?
Old April 18th, 2014, 6:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

this used to be a repair forum with great information for diy. Now its off warranty complaint site.

Last edited by tech2; April 18th, 2014 at 6:43 PM.
Old April 18th, 2014, 6:52 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by tech2
this used to be a repair forum with great information for diy. Now its off warranty complaint site.
LOL, again where's the LIKE Button
Old April 18th, 2014, 8:09 PM
CF Beginner

Well,getting back to the first post. I personally prefer the Suburban over the Tahoe. I have never been enthusiastic about shorter wheelbase SUVs....I guess that goes back to a CJ 5 I had years ago.I also like the option of greater interior space. rick

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying chevy tahoe or chevy suburban, bad idea?