Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Buying chevy tahoe or chevy suburban, bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old April 19th, 2014, 4:01 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

big thanks to all for the answers and suggestions.
It looks that all of you have difference experiences with your own vehicle (tahoe or suburban). before consider to get one, I have read some highlights of both vehicles.

• Chevrolet Tahoe is a full-size SUV that can seat up to 9 people with a strong towing capability of up to 8,500 pound (3,855 kg). With 2WD models estimated at 21 mpg on the highway.

Built on GM’s full-size SUV platform that features a fully boxed frame, coil-over-shock front suspension and rack-and-pinion steering. Wide front and rear tracks enhance handling and lower the center of gravity for a more confident road feel.

In regards to the interior and exterior, the grille surround is inset with an argent texture or available chrome finish. Fog lamps and headlamps feature detailed optics. The lower fascia, incorporating the front license plate holder and integrated recovery hooks, is aggressively styled with a skid plate look that enhances Tahoe’s rugged, off-road appearance.

• Chevrolet Suburban - A Hydra-Matic 6L80 six-speed is standard on 1500 models, optimizing fuel economy on the highway via reduced engine speed. Also, the lower-rpm engine speed on the highway enhances interior quietness.

All models ride on a 130-inch (3,302 mm) wheelbase, which supports the Suburban’s generous passenger and cargo capability, while enabling a smooth ride.

Behind the first-row seats, Suburban offers 137.4 cubic feet (3,890 liters) of cargo room, along with up to 8,100 pounds (3,674 kg) of towing capability (1500 2WD models). When properly equipped, Suburban 2500 can tow up to 9,600 pounds (4,354 kg).

my conclude: they are both amazing cars, both last long, and both very reliable. Any car made by GM is a car to own. They are reliable and they're nice. The suburban is a little bigger, so it all depends on which one you need.
This time Suburban is my choice and I will gain experience with this vehicle
Old April 19th, 2014, 6:36 AM
CF Active Member

Like my 08 Sub a lot. Issues I have had:
1) all 4 door lock actuators I had to pay as Gm would step up.
2) battery - had the truck 6 years and 98k miles. Not bad for oem. Went to Interstate.
3) brakes- I changed the oem to hawk rotors and pads and steel lines.
4) driver door weather strip
5) put weather tech mats in all around and carpets look new
6) oil changes with synthetic every 4-5k miles. No oil consumption issues.
7) next will be Bilstein 5100 all around - I leveled the truck and really like the look
8) took the 20" wheels off and downsized to 17"s with Michelin LTX M/S 2
9) transmission oil lines were replaced to as they rusted
10) fuel fill vent line assy also replaced - check engine light kept coming on even after replacing the gas cap

Might seem like a lot, but it's a mechanical device and I expect a few items to wear with use especially in New England.
I'd highly recommend a Sub for a family hauler.

Last edited by 08 burb fan; April 19th, 2014 at 10:31 AM.
Old April 19th, 2014, 7:27 AM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went with the Suburban as well due to the ability to hold more than the Tahoe. We went with a 2011 2500. I love the vehicle. Gets better gas mileage than the 09 f150 I had towing. I did have the issue with the throttle position sensor and the thermostat , both covered under the power train warranty. The F150 had more problems to list in the first 60,000 miles. To list.
Old April 19th, 2014, 7:56 AM
CF Beginner

We love our "new" 2002 Z71 burb, 1500 LT with 17" tires. Got it from our son. Other than oil changes and battery he replaced the fuel pump. Not bad for 114K. I have removed the piece of tape that somehow was sucked in the front A/C blower that made a loud noise. I replaced the cabin air filter and two speakers so far.

This is a Texas road running, hunting, hauling delight! Son bought a 2014 loaded. Towing a 1,400 lb SxS on the Interstate the 2002 downshifts less than the 2014 and exhaust is not as loud. Pushed the trailer button in on both.

Recently back from a vacation with our friends in it. They loved it also.

Highly recommend the 2002. Six stars.
Old April 19th, 2014, 12:27 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Love the 07 suburban we picked up about a year ago. Didn't make sense for us to get a Tahoe. Family of 6 and we run up and down the east coast a few times a year. Love the extra space, the look, the comfort. Hate the mpg! But can't complain. I've had minor mechanical issues that I've fixed myself. Parts aren't very expensive for this beast. And best of all, it's fairly easy to work on compared to other vehicles I've owned.

Bought with just under 100k. And I had already anticipated changing many of the moving/suspension parts.

So far I've ordered all the shocks. Changed 1 since I was doing the cv joint and wheel hub. Gonna tackle the other side cv hub and shock soon and might as well do control arms while I'm in there.

Changed all 8 spark plugs

Replaced the transmission cooler line.

Cleaned throttle body

Changed all drive pulleys tensioners and belts.

All fairly easy jobs and didn't take that long.

Last edited by trainwreck91; April 19th, 2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old April 19th, 2014, 9:02 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry but I have not had a happy moment with our 2007. I never said "I am definitely going to buy another chevy!" anywhere. This is our last chevy. This 2007 has left an awful taste and I do not like gm as a company at all. What they are and what they stand for/support!

Just got the 3rd new Arnott Compressor under warranty yesterday, haven't had a chance to install it, hopefully the suspension will work, again...

Also, the 1 year old CV axle on the driver is worn out, was using a little 4X4 to get to our barn and now the 1 year cv axle is grinding like crazy, yay, more work to be done... I have too many other things to do instead of always having to fix this chevy...
Old April 23rd, 2014, 5:37 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently bought a used 2002 LS Suburban, and I must say we both love it, the wife even likes how it looks and she has always told me no big trucks sitting in the front of the house or in the driveway, well she changed her tune. It sits in the driveway proudly. I do have the every now and then abs and brake light come on, but not going to worry about it as the brakes still function, but maybe someday when I have time and patience I will pull the ebcm and have it repaired, a shop around here charges 50 bucks and lifetime warranty on it after they repair it. they just don't remove them from the vehicle Have taken it on a trip to California and it drives so smooth with a trailer in tow behind it. I would never buy a vehicle brand new again , we did buy our prius brand new in 07 and was Zero interest for 5 yrs . so that was good. The prices they charge for vehicles today is unreal, I remember you could buy a house for 13k and it would be a 2 bd with full walkout basement. in Missouri. St. Louis County to be exact, so not even in the sticks/hills . Today cars can and will be what a home cost and some even more still, off the house subject and back to the burb. We went with the burb because of size we like to camp and it carries everything and then some. The luggage rack on the roof is great too, I did install a backup camera as I have dark tinted glass in the rear , other things done was re-charged the K&N filter that came with it. and a new cabin air filter. this 5.3 motor seems to be very fuel efficient and powerful at the same time. I enjoy driving this big beast , that is about it. One other NOTE: If you wash your burb, be careful not to get water in the engine bay, as water will get to the intake manifold and go into the knock sensors, I did this after getting the truck, I guess it finally dried out and the service engine soon light stays off now, I have a scan guage hooked up to it to monitor the codes and rpm, engine temp, mpg, etc... it is a great tool and it can also clear codes. and show any pending codes if any.

Last edited by Desert Gringo; April 23rd, 2014 at 5:41 PM.
Old April 24th, 2014, 7:45 AM
CF Beginner

Default 02 suburb

Glad to hear u r enjoying your new truck. Yes I completely agree, that the prices of new vehicle's especially the Tahoe's, suburb's and Yukon's are insane. There was a time I never would have bought a pre owned vehicle because you don't know how well it was maintained by the previous owner, regardless if they are re certified by the dealer. However, the Mrs. talked me into a used vehicle back in 06 and I can honestly say the experiences has been pretty good. Back in 06 I bought an 04 Yukon and had zero issues with that truck. If you shop around long enough for what you want, you'll get it.

Last year I bought an 09 suburban -- never could have afforded that truck brand new. the other nice thing about buying pre owned is that you can get the vehicle loaded for a decent price.
Old April 24th, 2014, 8:10 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default yes

It's a bad idea. I still dont like my 09, and it will be sold, hopefully, by xmas.

Did you know GM developed Leaded Gasoline, paying scientists to prove it's 'safe'... resulting in the estimated lead poisoning of 68,000,000 American children?

Isn't that awesome?

I mean 13 deaths over a key hole is nothing when you can poison an entire planet right?

https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motora...141738892.html
Old April 24th, 2014, 10:26 AM
CF Active Member

DON'T DO IT.... Unless you don't mind getting hooked on having a suburban for the rest of your life. I've owned 4 and will never be without one. The only thing that could compete with one was the Ford Excursion. A friend had a Explorer, I took him and a family of 5 and their luggage to the airport as it would not all fit in his ford. Can you tell I love my burbans. My daughter borrows my burban for trips when her Tahoe can't hold everyone and their luggage. ps i did own 2 at once, ONCE.

Quick Reply: Buying chevy tahoe or chevy suburban, bad idea?