Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Buying a totaled Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old September 20th, 2014, 9:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a totaled Tahoe

I have a chance to buy a friends 2004 Chevy Tahoe LT (5.3L, AWD, OnStar, towing package, leather, XM radio) 133,000 miles that the Insurance company deemed totaled. He ran off the road and scraped the right side against a fence. He's buying it back from the Insurance company for 6k and said he would sell it to me for that much. NADA value is around 12k and thats what the Ins is giving him, minus the buy back 6k. I figure I can find used front/rear doors and the back quarter panel pretty easy. Do you guys think its a good deal or should I just pass?

Other then the damage to the passenger side doors and quarter panel the rest of the vehicle is in perfect condition. He doesn't have any kids and kept it super clean and well maintained. I called the dealership he took it to for maintenance and every 3,000 miles the oil was changed, the inside is immaculate.

So is it worth the hassle?

[url=http://postimage.org/][img]http://s28.postimg.org/r4sztkmel
Old September 21st, 2014, 1:36 AM
CF Junior Member

Getting the door shells replaced are easy enough and you might get lucky to find two that are color matched at a salvage yard for a few hundred dollars. I think, if it is still in top mechanical condition, is to find an auto body shop and get a quote. If the truck is worth $12K and you're paying $6K, it would appear that the cost analysis would show that anything over $4K-$6K in repairs would be too much.

Keep in mind that a salvaged title will instantly drop the value of the vehicle since it's been totaled. If you're able to do the body work, I'd say go for it... I wouldn't expect the quarter panel to be more than a few hundred dollars. The expensive part, at that point, would most likely be paint.
Old September 21st, 2014, 1:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

doors shells are expensive from body shops. if you have to pay someone to do the work its not worth it. if you can weld in new panels yourself it may be worthwhile. price out all your parts and paint first.
Old September 21st, 2014, 12:53 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by warthogcrewchief
Getting the door shells replaced are easy enough and you might get lucky to find two that are color matched at a salvage yard for a few hundred dollars. I think, if it is still in top mechanical condition, is to find an auto body shop and get a quote. If the truck is worth $12K and you're paying $6K, it would appear that the cost analysis would show that anything over $4K-$6K in repairs would be too much.

Keep in mind that a salvaged title will instantly drop the value of the vehicle since it's been totaled. If you're able to do the body work, I'd say go for it... I wouldn't expect the quarter panel to be more than a few hundred dollars. The expensive part, at that point, would most likely be paint.

Ya its in perfect mechanical condition. The guy who owned it is a 70 year old retired doctor who never abused it or drove it hard. I've allready found the rear door and quater panel for $500 total, same color as the tahoe. My biggest concern is installing them, especially the quarter panel.
Old September 21st, 2014, 5:43 PM
CF Beginner

Is the frame bent? I know the shells are expensive but I am a little surprised that they totaled it...
Old September 21st, 2014, 5:55 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by NothinbutChevy
Is the frame bent? I know the shells are expensive but I am a little surprised that they totaled it...
No the frame is fine, all he did was slide off the road and side scrape a fence. Auto body shop estimated 11k to fix it.
Old September 22nd, 2014, 9:05 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For 6k, I wouldn't bother, you can get them for 6k not banged up

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LT, $6,199 - Cars.com

Used 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe - in 90210 Area - on Cars.com
Old September 22nd, 2014, 7:24 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
For 6k, I wouldn't bother, you can get them for 6k not banged up

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LT, $6,199 - Cars.com

Used 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe - in 90210 Area - on Cars.com

I've never seen an 04 Tahoe LT that cheap with low mileage. Makes me think twice about it now.
Old September 23rd, 2014, 7:13 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default cars

There are a few scams on there I'm sure, but you can set max price, miles, years, color, etc...

Just saying shop around is all.

Full Size SUVs depreciate at about the same rate as money burns...

I saw a last generation (actually 2 generations old now I guess) Tahoe for $4500 near me... no info on it, but damn that seems cheap.
Old September 24th, 2014, 11:55 AM
CF Beginner

The good doctor talked to his Insurance and they agreed to lower the buy back to 4k. I think its a no-brainer now guys!

Quick Reply: Buying a totaled Tahoe