Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Factory seven point trailer connection

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2012, 5:04 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory seven point trailer connection

I have 2002 Tahoe 5.3L and trying to prepare to tow a travel trailer. I have the four flat light connection, but will need the seven point for the trailer. Etrailer.com has an adaptor that just plugs in to the factory seven point. This part is correct per the data you entry to find the right connection on their website. Does anyone know this location could be I have looked under the car and only thing I find that resembles this is on the passenger side bottom quarter panel. Iwill attach picture of what I am talking about.
Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails Factory seven point trailer connection-gc00890.gif  
Old March 14th, 2012, 7:34 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tahoe64gg
I have 2002 Tahoe 5.3L and trying to prepare to tow a travel trailer. I have the four flat light connection, but will need the seven point for the trailer. Etrailer.com has an adaptor that just plugs in to the factory seven point. This part is correct per the data you entry to find the right connection on their website. Does anyone know this location could be I have looked under the car and only thing I find that resembles this is on the passenger side bottom quarter panel. Iwill attach picture of what I am talking about.
Thanks in advance
on my 01 the trailer wiring comes down from the drivers side tail light. mine has the tow package so I've got a 7blade plug on the truck. my little flatbed uses a flat 4pin, and I just got a adapter from the parts store and it works out nice...

:chug:
Old March 14th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

If you just use a 4-pin connector, you'll lose the battery charging and brake control features.
Old March 14th, 2012, 9:01 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The easiest thing for you to do is go to the Chevy dealership or RV shop and pay them to install a trailer brake controller and the appropriate wiring and 7-conductor connection.

In my state it is illegal to tow most trailers over 3000# without functioning brakes AND an operable break-away system. The laws vary from one state to the next, but if you are going to take your TT on long trips, you really ought to have working trailer breaks and break-away kit.
Old March 15th, 2012, 10:27 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

we replaced the broken surge brakes with electric on our boat trailer... WOW. I LOVE electric brakes on trailers. Never again will I even consider surge an option. It's CRAP.
Old March 15th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you're getting the Cart before the Horse here...

IF OEM had set your Hoe up for the Load that requires a 7 pin/blade, you'd had it on there to start with. You need to go to...
http://www.decodethis.com/
enter your VIN, and see just what your GTW is, and abide by that.