Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

A/C problem with Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old August 28th, 2015, 2:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C problem with Tahoe

For some reason, and not always, my AC will just stop working. The vehicle has rear air. For example, when going on vacation and ten minutes into it, my step daughter told me to kick on the rear A/C via switch above console near rear view mirror. Fairly soon, the A/C started blowing warm air all together. So I switched it off. 45 min later I kick it back on, front only and it worked great. It is acting up more now though, where(just using the front mind you) it won't kick on at all. Then other times it works fine. The pressure is fine and it blows ice cold when working, but I am kinda stumped. It is only truck I got but hate to dump a bunch of money into via labor. Any advice would be great. Thanks.
Old August 30th, 2015, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

What year ?

Need to make sure the fans are running when the AC is on (the fans in the engine compartment)
When the AC has been running verify the cold line is cold and not warm near the compressor, the hot side should be hot but be careful as it can be very hot...
Check the accumulator, it too should also be fairly cool...
Its possible you have a bad pressure switch at the accumulator causing the compressor to short cycle...
When you say the pressure is good, is that because you had it checked or you checked it yourself with a proper set of gauges?
Did you see any bounce/unsteadiness in the gauge needles? (a good sign that the compressor is getting old/failing)
Old August 30th, 2015, 11:00 AM
CF Beginner

2001. Had pressures checked by mechanic. It seems to kick compressor on sporadically. Like I said, first time it did it was when I flipped on rear A/C. Now it just does it regardless. Lines are like u said should be doing. Another mechanic said it was a blend door or main controller on dash.

Need to make sure the fans are running when the AC is on (the fans in the engine compartment)
When the AC has been running verify the cold line is cold and not warm near the compressor, the hot side should be hot but be careful as it can be very hot...
Check the accumulator, it too should also be fairly cool...
Its possible you have a bad pressure switch at the accumulator causing the compressor to short cycle...
When you say the pressure is good, is that because you had it checked or you checked it yourself with a proper set of gauges?
Did you see any bounce/unsteadiness in the gauge needles? (a good sign that the compressor is getting old/failing)[/QUOTE]
Old August 30th, 2015, 7:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

next time it goes warm; rev the engine up to 2500 rpm and hold it there. if the a/c starts getting cold again your compressor is tired.
Old August 30th, 2015, 8:57 PM
CF Beginner

It will get warm if I'm driving down the highway sometimes. I can switch it off and comes on again. Sometimes works just fine. The rpm at 2500 has no bearing for this problem. Like a gremlin in the system.
Originally Posted by tech2
next time it goes warm; rev the engine up to 2500 rpm and hold it there. if the a/c starts getting cold again your compressor is tired.
Old August 30th, 2015, 9:07 PM
CF Beginner

Meaning if I switch it off then back on later, will work fine. Not always the case though.
Originally Posted by skeeballhead
It will get warm if I'm driving down the highway sometimes. I can switch it off and comes on again. Sometimes works just fine. The rpm at 2500 has no bearing for this problem. Like a gremlin in the system.
Old August 31st, 2015, 7:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

then your compressor is probably fine. 14 yo compressors are a common cause. another way to check the compressor is to obtain readings with a manifold gauge set.

Is your refrigerant level correct?

their is a tsb for this concern for an updated low pressure switch located at the accumulator. Maybe do a search for it.

Last edited by tech2; August 31st, 2015 at 7:21 AM.