Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

cam/crank position sensors?

Search this Thread

Old January 17th, 2010, 8:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default cam/crank position sensors?

1998 tahoe
5.7l vin r
160k+ miles, full tuneup, quality parts not cheap junk, new fuel pump

gettin differing opinions about cam and crank pos sensors and when they fail. some say they just stop, others say it's over time. anyone's opinion? easy way to test them? can't set the cam offset, but i move the distributor ever so slightly trying to get rid of code 1345. that code went away, but now misfire cyl #5 comes up, no others. might be a possible injector problem #5 (seperate issue). would that cause code 1345? done total tune up, code scan. rig runs great, but has slight miss at idle. sometimes fairly rough, sometimes bairly noticeable. trying to eliminate the easy fixes before tearing top end apart for injectors.
Old January 17th, 2010, 9:13 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Replacing the fuel injectors, poppets and regulator are not too big of a job takes time but nothing too complicated...
as for the sensors short of a flaky connector or too close of contact to a moving part they either work or they don't , they are magnetic sensors for the most part with no moving parts
Old January 17th, 2010, 9:43 PM
CF Veteran

preeshyate reply. kinda figuring that i have one injector and/or poppet going out. #5 plug all gummed/ashed up when pulled. rest are fine. ahhh, love gettin deep into it in 30 degrees.
Old February 1st, 2010, 4:42 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Maxxman i just changed the whole Injector Fuel Meter body in my 99 Sub and the thing runs like a champ now. It also has a minor missfire at Idle though everywhere else the engine runs like a Dream. I have been looking the problem and my scanner reads it as a Camshaft to Crankshaft Correlation Fault i thaught i could adjust this by moving the Distributor but have been told thats not the case like older engines. As far as the sensors are concerned In2pro is right about them working or not they are magnetic and will just fail. They are not like an alternator where they will gradually go out and leave you stranded. I will keep track of this thread and keep my eyes and ears open for more info on your problem and keep you posted as i am having a similar problem
Old February 3rd, 2010, 10:56 AM
CF Veteran

thanks simpson
i'm thinkin i will have to pull the top end apart, see what's goin on. rig runs great on the road, but like yours, misses a bit at idle. gonna be awhile before i get to it tho (got a little one coming any day now). still get either a #5 misfire, or that 1345 code, they take turns showing up. i'll post with updates soon as i can figure it out. thanks again all.