Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Can 2007+ suburban second row bench recline or be made to?

Search this Thread

Old June 16th, 2015, 11:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can 2007+ suburban second row bench recline or be made to?

greetings,

I am in the market for an 07+ suburban and had some questions on the middle row seats.

Does the bench seatback recline? or can they be made to with an aftermarket kit?

I have an 03 Tahoe with the second row bench and the main complaint is the seat back does not recline and would be great if it did for long trips.

Most of the suburbans I find offered have the bench. I looked at one and it did not recline but I wondered if later models did.

tnx

Last edited by DanH; June 16th, 2015 at 11:24 PM. Reason: add suburban to title
Old June 17th, 2015, 9:31 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

The bench seating does not recline... I agree they should as I have been in other import SUV's and the rear bench seats have some recline to them even for the 40/60 split...
The only way I know to do a recline would be to have custom seats made, I am not aware of a kit...
Old June 18th, 2015, 10:56 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default custom changes

Yea, I'd guess you'd have to go custom, and like adding a seat that shouldn't be there, you may get into liability issues... if someone hit your car and people in those seats had injuries, maybe the modified seat was part of the reason they were injured.

NOT saying it will happen, and of course I'd never want anyone to get hurt, just saying we live in a legal society, not a moral one.

If you really want to do this, I'd look at buying a second second row (get it), and modifying that, then installing the modified seats.

then you can always go back to OEM, or if you royally muck it up, not install them... and not be in a crisis mode trying to find some seats.

Do the seats fold forwards? if so, I'd think it would be an easier modification than if they were fixed. You'd have to add a hinge and locking mechanism, and springs, and... and... yea, it's a nice idea, but I'm not sure this will pan out...

If you do under take it, take some pics for us!