Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

can someone describe the failure of the steering column?

Search this Thread

Old October 10th, 2010, 8:47 AM
dh1
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default can someone describe the failure of the steering column?

I have an 02 suburban, and I understand the intermediate shaft are a problem area on this model.

Mine has developed a clunking noise at the front and I haven't been able to duplicate it while it's sitting still (ball joints, etc). I am thinking the joints at the end of the intermediate shaft are making the noise, but I have never had a failed steering column before...so I am just guessing at what it might sound like.
Old October 10th, 2010, 9:08 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

The two times I had the problem on two different Tahoes, it felt like there was something loose between the steering wheel and the steering gear box.

Dealer replaced my second one which was out of warranty w/ the new design which doesn't require lube packing. Did it free under "Customer satisfaction".
Old October 11th, 2010, 6:59 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I repaced the ISS in my 04 Avalanche and popping went away. Replaced with Dorman unit from Rock Auto. No packng required.
Old September 30th, 2015, 5:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What you are describing (clunking in steering column) is because the grease needs to be "redistributed" in the column. Its a very simple fix. Mechanics want to replace a nylon bearing inside the column for about $150-200, but that isn't what is causing the clunking. My 2004 Tahoe had this problem, and here's what I did to cure it:

1. To make sure the steering wheel doesn't turn once disconnected, secure with a bungee cord inside the vehicle.

2. Disconnect battery to keep the airbags from deploying.

3. Loosen and remove the 14mm bolt that goes through the steering shaft between the firewall and the steering box.

4. Push the shaft toward the firewall, disconnecting it from the steering box shaft.

5. Pump this shaft in and out of the boot connected to the fire wall about 15 to 20 times. This redistributed the grease inside the boot/shaft.

6. Reconnect the shaft making sure the sheering wheel did not turn in the process.

7. Reconnect bolt and tighten, connect battery.

I found that this has to be done about every 20-30,000 miles. It only takes about 15-20 minutes to complete.

Hope this helps.