Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Can't fill the tank

Search this Thread

Old October 4th, 2012, 1:24 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X2, I was intimidated by the prospect of dropping my tank but after completing the job with a junk yard part for $60, it is a great feeling to have saved hundreds of dollars. I have a spare car so I was able to leave my vehicle in the driveway up on stands for a week and just work on it when I could. This can be done within a day. It helps to have jack stands (be safe), lots of blocks of wood of various sizes and a good floor jack. I put a piece of wood across the tank and jacked the wood so as not to pierce the tank and it worked great, both down and back up. I was also fortunate that this happened when my tank was less than 1/4 full.
Old October 4th, 2012, 9:04 PM
CF Beginner

Turns out there was about 5 lbs of sand sitting on top of my gas tank. I live in New England and it must have been from the roads in the winter. Well, all that sand held plenty of moisture which rotted out the vent tubing as well as the flange that holds the fuel pump into the tank. New pump is installed and no more issues.
The following users liked this post:
Jase2787 (May 2nd, 2022)
Old October 5th, 2012, 12:01 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for reporting back on the solution. Did you do the work yourself? Mine had a bunch of gravel on top of it but nothing that hurt anything.
Old February 21st, 2017, 11:15 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok. I fought this issue forever (8 months). I was on my way back from Colorado and stopped in Dallas for gas. The pump never shut off. When I returned from the store, I had about 3 gallons of fuel on the ground. I rolled the truck back from the pump and started it. The engine seemed okay but then started sputtering. This went on for about five minutes. I never thought about it again until I had to fill up and couldn't. The pump kept shutting off. I didn't have any codes. I took the advice of changing the evap solenoid and sensor on the engine. This didn't work. I then pulled the carbon filter near the tank. It was destroyed. I replaced it. No change. I noticed that the hose from the tank to the carbon filter had carbon pellets in it even after having replaced it. I used my shop vac to suck the pellets from the the new filter thinking it must have been faulty. Some of the carbon came out but not much. I then had a thought. Maybe the evap hose was clogged. I put my air compressor to the end of the hose that connects to the carbon filter and blew 120PSI in it. Carbon pellets came flying out. Use safety glasses...always!!! This made a significant, possitive effect. I took it to the gas station and filled it up with maybe two stops. Not being statisfied. I repeated the above processes on the carbon filter and the hose from the filter to the tank. More carbon pellets poured out. I took the suburban back days later and it has been fueling up with no stops. I recommend checking the sensor over the engine again for carbon in the pipe. I used a wooden scewer stick to knock it out.This worked well.

I belive the overflow in Dallas caused the pellets to float up into the hose where they were lodged. This was preventing any airflow balance in the tank. The back preasure shut the pump off. There was no code because the fumes never got past the carbon filter to the evap solenoid. I hope this helps.