Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Can't reach connector on O2 sensor

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2014, 3:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't reach connector on O2 sensor

On my 2004 Suburban, I'm trying to replace the bank 1 upstream O2 sensor. I thought this would be easy until I tried to reach the connector. It's tucked far enough up by the side of the transmission that I can't get to it. I can't get my arm in between the front drive shaft and the exhaust pipe leading into the catalytic converter. I tried reaching in from other angles, but there is just not enough room for my arm to squeeze through.

The connector is held in place by a plastic xmas tree style rivet, and I can't get close enough to get it free.

Any suggestions on how to get to this without taking the exhaust apart of dropping the drive shaft?
Old March 31st, 2014, 7:55 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Can you get an O2 sensor socket on it? You don't need to unplug it to get the socket on. You'll need one to install the new sensor.
Old March 31st, 2014, 8:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Getting the wrench on it is easy enough. Getting to the connector so I can disconnect it is the problem. It's right is front of me, but unreachable with the obstructions, that I can't get my arm through.