Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2003 Tahoe Frozen Stuck Wont Move Transfer Case ?

Search this Thread

Old March 19th, 2017, 7:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Tahoe Frozen Stuck Wont Move Transfer Case ?

I was driving home and the Truck started making noises like a soda can being ripped or scrapping and grinding .. I was lucky to be 2 blocks from my home .. Then when I backed in my driveway .. the truck didnt want to go backwards .. I tried to go forward and it fought me .. then clunk and grinding .. I put the truck in neutral and tried to push it back in driveway .. wouldnt move at all .. tried to put Transfer case in Neutral .. Nothing .. light on electronic switch would go back to 2wh .. sadly got frustrated and put in reverse and forced her in driveway while truck sounded like I was going toe to toe with an earth mover .. then couldnt go any further .. now stuck .. I didnt want to do that .. but I was in the road sideways and had to get out of the way .. engine and trans seems fine ..180k miles .. Never gave me any issues before .. so I guess its time .. any thoughts .. I am assuming its the transfer case .. since in neutral it wont move anywhere and in drive or reveres it was a fight .. Thanks for any help !
Old March 19th, 2017, 9:21 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I doubt it's the transfer case. Most likely a problem with one of the axles; I'd guess the rear axle. Maybe the pinion bearing. If you have AAA, call them for a flatbed and have it towed to a mechanic.

If you want to do a little diagnosing yourself, to prepare yourself for the high-cost of the repair, jack up each axle, and try to spin the wheels and see what that sounds/feels like. If everything spins nicely and smoothly, then you likely have a problem with a pinion bearing.