Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

can't remove 3rd row seat

Search this Thread

Old January 21st, 2007, 6:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can't remove 3rd row seat

I have a 2004 Suburban that I can't seem to get the 3rd row seat removed. The manual says first I need to fold the seat back down but it won't fold. I can hear the mechanism working when I pull the lever but it just won't fold. Has anyone else experienced this and is there a trick to getting it un-stuck?

Old June 11th, 2011, 1:27 PM
CF Beginner

I have the same exact problem and am looking for the answer. Any help?
Old June 11th, 2011, 4:22 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i know that on my 01 you have to pull the bottom of the seats forward in the 2nd row... I think we did the same on the back...

try pulling the bottom of the seat forward and then release.

:chug:
Old June 13th, 2011, 8:20 AM
CF Beginner

After working on it for a couple of days here is what I did to remove the 3rd row seat.
On the rear lower right and left side there are plastic covers, if you push the seat material forward a little you can see a hole where a nut holds it on, remove the nut. On the left side pull back the plastic cover and you can see the wire and the lever that releases the seat. With my foot holding up the #1 release lever on the right side I used an open end wrench to push forward the left side lever and the seat folded down.
I then used the #2 and #3 levers to remove the seat.
To view the whole cable, open the lower seat cover, it is an overlapping plastic clip, My problem was a loose cable, similar to a brake cable on a bicycle, after fixing it I have had no problems.
Old June 13th, 2011, 3:23 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Great feedback. Could you tell why the cable got loose?
Old June 13th, 2011, 3:42 PM
CF Beginner

I had kind of a similar problem with my 2001 suburban except my problem was that the 3rd row wouldn't open. I had removed the seat for a few months and when I tried to put it back in, I couldn't get it to open. The cables had stretched and wouldn't work. I took the seat to an upholstry shop and they Magivered it to work, instead of replacing everything.
Old January 4th, 2012, 11:54 PM
CF Beginner

Unhappy 3rd row bench will Not come out.

I have a 2003 suburban and I have been trying for years to get the 3rd row bench out. The seat folds over and up like its suppose to but I cannot get it to come out of the front clips.
Please help.:
Old January 5th, 2012, 10:35 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ebrown
I have a 2003 suburban and I have been trying for years to get the 3rd row bench out. The seat folds over and up like its suppose to but I cannot get it to come out of the front clips.
Please help.:

Are you pulling the release strap? Lift the release for the backrest so the seatback will fold down, then lift the release so the entire seat pivots forward on the front latches, then pull the strap handle..when you pull the strap...keep the strap pulled as you pull up and back on the seat, pulling the front locks out and the seat should then be removed. If nothing happens when the nylon strap handle is pulled then its possible the cable has developed too much slack or is broken.
Old November 13th, 2012, 8:12 AM
CF Beginner

Default 3rd row seat won't tilt up (step 2)

I have the problem where the 3rd row seat on my 2001 folds over using release #1. When I go to use release #2 it only releases one seat so I can't muscle it up to tilt forward. Any ideas? I know how they work since I took my 3rd row out hundreds of time on my last Suburban. This one just won't release. Thanks.
Old November 13th, 2012, 3:39 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Can you still remove the seat? Is it a bench or two seats?

As you can see by the preceding posts, this problem is not uncommon. A mechanic at the dealer worked for about 20 minutes to get my daughter's seat unlocked.

Quick Reply: can't remove 3rd row seat