Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:43 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Change Engine Oil light

Search this Thread

Old August 18th, 2005, 7:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change Engine Oil light

Hey guys how's it going. I was wondering if anyone here knows how to reset that damn light that comes on when you need to change the oil. I have a 2001 chevy tahoe with about 51k miles on it. On the dash where the message center is, the Change Engine Oil light comes on wheneveri turn on the tahoe. Even after i change the oil. How do i go about resetting that damn light? I know you have to do something with pushing the trip odometer and stepping on the brakes like 10 times, but i cant remember in what order, or what it is exactly that i need to do. Thanks in advance.
Old August 21st, 2005, 10:56 PM
CF Beginner

I believe, that you turn the switch to the "on" position & press the gas pedal three times within 5 seconds.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 3:10 PM
CF Beginner

thanks. actually i got it figured out this weekend, or atleast this is what i did and it worked. i turned off the tahoe and pushed and held the trip button while i stepped on the brake 10 times. i pushed the brake all the way. i let go of the trip button after the 10th push. i turned the tahoe on and the change oil light did not come back on.
Old June 27th, 2006, 11:14 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Change Engine Oil light

i tired the on position and the holding the trip button and pressing the break ans the light stayed off THANKS !!!! what other tricks are there for the truck with the computer
Old July 4th, 2006, 2:22 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Change Engine Oil light

All true, plus the gas pedal "must" be pushed in all the way. Chevy mech corrected me.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 12:42 PM
CF Beginner

how to reset change engine oil light Chevrolet 2006
Old March 22nd, 2013, 9:45 PM
CF Active Member

Mani,

Do you have the steering controls on your steering wheel for changing the display on the Driver Information Center? If you do, press the steering controls to display the oil life indicator and then press the reset button on the steering wheel that you use to reset the trip.

If you don't have the steering wheel controls, you should be able to turn the key to run, press the gas pedal fully three times within 5 seconds. The oil life reset should show up on the DIC.
Old May 21st, 2013, 1:58 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Latintiger
Hey guys how's it going. I was wondering if anyone here knows how to reset that damn light that comes on when you need to change the oil. I have a 2001 chevy tahoe with about 51k miles on it. On the dash where the message center is, the Change Engine Oil light comes on wheneveri turn on the tahoe. Even after i change the oil. How do i go about resetting that damn light? I know you have to do something with pushing the trip odometer and stepping on the brakes like 10 times, but i cant remember in what order, or what it is exactly that i need to do. Thanks in advance.
My dear friend,

If the pedal procedure doesn't function, try with with switch on (but engine off) to press counter reset button (of the odometer) and the same time the brake pedal.
Then this will work!

Greetings from World Bodyguards Association - WBA
Old November 9th, 2019, 4:55 PM
CF Beginner

My 2002 Tahoe LS doesn't reset with the gas pedal procedure. And you don't have to turnt the key to the on position, press the brake pedal, or press the gas pedal. All I had to do was hold down the odometer button until the display read a code. I will try and post a pic with this as well. Hope it helps anyone who has the same issue that I had with the gas pedal procedure not working.

Randall