Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2003 Tahoe fuel pump problem

Search this Thread

Old February 9th, 2009, 8:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2003 Tahoe fuel pump problem

This is the second time this has happen in a year. You do not hear the fuel pump click on when you turn the key. Tahoe will not start. If you take a rubber mallet and give the gas tank 2-3 good hits. When you turn the key you hear the fuel pump come on and the Tahoe will start.

It seems to be very expensive to change the pump out. Is there anything else I can check and make sure it is working before I spend money for a fuel pump replacement?

Thanks

klsparrow

Last edited by klsparrow; February 9th, 2009 at 8:57 PM. Reason: wrong title
Old February 10th, 2009, 2:47 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Is the replacement pump refurb, aftermarket or OEM?
Are you keeping the take reasonably full or running it empty?

An OEM or factory replacement should last a really long time, if you are running the tank close to empty all the time this can shorten the life of the pump as the fuel in the tank keeps the pump cool.
There is the possibility you got a bum pump, check where you got it from it may be covered under warranty.
Old February 11th, 2009, 9:31 AM
CF Beginner

This is the original factory pump. Around 5.5 years. My wife never lets this vehicle get low on gas. I will check and make sure though. How about connections are a relay. The cost to replace these is outrageous
Old February 11th, 2009, 9:57 AM
Administrator

If you are having to beat on the tank to get it to work...its the fuel pump.
You may be able to access the top of the tank enough to see if its a loose connection but I doubt its that. Its worth checking to see if you have any warranty on it if its less they a year old they may be able to pro-rate it and at least give you some discount on a new one.
Old February 12th, 2009, 8:31 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks in2pro for the information. With the mounting and connectors on the top of the tank one be one big reason I could not find anything looking at the ends and side. It would have been nice if they had provided an access door through the floor to the top of the tank.

Thanks

klsparrow
Old February 13th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Administrator

As for access to the pump , I think I have heard it said that some find it easier to remove the bed of the truck to access the fuel pump rather then drop the tank. This is for trucks with a bed not a Tahoe or Suburban.