Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Changing out the coolant, 2007 tahoe.

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2016, 3:34 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Changing out the coolant, 2007 tahoe.

So what is the best way of doing this? I was thinking about taking it to the dealer to have it done, but I always think about that until I hear the cost lol. Plus, I get confused by the different options...flushes...power flushes..etc. or whatever else they may offer.

This is about the only thing I haven't done yet. Any recommendations? Should I change the t-stat and coolant sensor just for good measure?

I'm pretty handy and have done everything but the brake fluid myself so far, but I'm tired lol and running out of time before the current towing season comes up. Last year I had a couple times doing some steeper or longer grades where the engine temp went up a bit. It always came back down in short order, but I have a feeling that I should do some maintenance in this area.

Also does anyone know what a reasonable price to have the dealer do this would be?

Edit: I also see something that says:

The thermostat is not serviceable separately. The thermostat housing (water pump inlet) and thermostat must be replaced as an assembly.

So you cant just buy a t-stat and put it in? Or does it just come this way?

Last edited by {tpc}; May 18th, 2016 at 3:46 PM. Reason: To add
Old May 21st, 2016, 9:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

on the 5.3l the thermostat is serviced separately...replaced by removing the housing cover. remove the 2 bolts, cover, seal and thermostat.

If you get a thermostat, get oem.
no need to change the ect sensor.

to drain the cooling system, you will have to remove the lower rad hose and 2 engine block drain plugs. some people remove the block heater also. the drain plugs and block heater will require pipe sealant on reinstallation.
system capacity is 17liters

flush at a dealer...maybe $200- $250 is my guess.