Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 2:36 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Transmission
Print Wikipost

Changing transmission fluid. DIY Help

Old March 19th, 2007, 3:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing transmission fluid. DIY Help

I have a 1999 chevy tahoe, LT v-8 A/T. I am a newbie at car stuff. I just changed mytransmission fluid in my accord and would like to change it in my tahoe. Ive searched the forum but cant find any help. Can someone give me instructions on how to change the transmission fluid? (I think i found the drain plug, but does my truck have a transmission fluid filter I need to change too?) Please Help, thanks!
Old March 19th, 2007, 4:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Changing transmission fluid. DIY Help

buy yourself one of those chilton manuals at pepboys, autozone, etc... I am fairly sure you vehicle has a tranny filter.
Old March 19th, 2007, 10:43 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You just LOVE outsourcing don't you engine2! Pretty much yes, you do have a tranny filter you should change. You also have an access hole to drain the torque converter too. It's pretty much just unbolt the whole trans oil pan take out the bolts that hold the filter and pop the new one in. Put the new gasket on the pan after properly removing the old gasket and the remnants. Fill with the trans to capacity (I BELIEVE could be 6-7 quarts). I'd leave the torque converter alone if you don't feel too mechanically inclined.
Old March 19th, 2007, 11:39 AM
CF Junior Member

By dropping the pan and changing your filter and that fluid, your only getting about half of the fluid. Still something great to do, but I preffer to do it all. First I'll drop the pan and replace the filter and clean the pan. I'll fill it up to capacity. Then I'll take the transmission cooler line that goes to the radiator off. I take the top one off, and believe it or not, it comes out of the radiator at the top. I learned this the hard way. With a hose attatched to the output of the radiator and routed down into a bucket with 2qts marked off. Have somebody watch the bucket and get in and start the truck and begin to slowly put it through all the gears. As soon as the bucket gets close to 2qts, have your buddy yell, then shut it off. Put 2qts into the fill tube. Keep repeating until you at least replace all the fluid, or until it is clear fluid coming out. Be sure to check the levels after driving a bit.[/align][/align]Then again, jiffy lube only charges $100 for the fluid swap. This doesn't include changing the filter. They say you don't really have to do that. I don't trust those yahoos, so I do everything myself. Plus you can put a quality fluid in there. I use Amsoil ATF.[/align]
Old March 19th, 2007, 12:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: shnormo
You just LOVE outsourcing don't you engine2!
I figured the pictures in the chilton manual would guide him better. Plus those manuals have just about every maintainence item you can think of so you dont have to outsource. While these manuals may not be as good as the factory service manuals ($100+ for a typical 3 volume set) at $10-$15 they are a pretty good bargain.
Old March 19th, 2007, 1:32 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no "access hole to drain the fluid from the torque converter on the 4L60E tranny in the 1999 Tahoe.Here are the instructions from the GM Service Manual:
Automatic Transmission Fluid and Filter Replacement

Raise the vehicle.
Place a drain pan under the transmission oil pan. Remove the oil pan drain plug.
Remove the oil pan bolts. Remove the oil pan. Remove the gasket. Remove the magnet.
Remove the oil filter.
Remove the filter neck seal.
The transmission oil pan gasket is reusable.
Inspect the gasket and replace as needed.
Clean the transmission case and the oil pan gasket surfaces with solvent.
Air dry the transmission case and surfaces.
Install the filter neck seal.
Install the oil filter.
Install the oil pan gasket to the pan.
Install the magnet into the bottom of the pan. Notice:Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application.
Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure.
Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener.
Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
Install the oil pan to the transmission with seventeen bolts.
Tighten the oil pan bolts to 11N·m (97lbin).
Apply a small amount of sealant GM P/N 12346004 to the treads of the drain plug. Install the oil pan drain plug.
Tighten the oil pan drain plug to 18N·m (13lbft). Install 5 Quarts Dexron® VI Automatic Transmission Fluid.
Lower the vehicle.
Old March 25th, 2007, 6:08 PM
CF Beginner

I know this is a stupid question, but when I fill up the transmission fluid, can I put it in where the dipstick goes (thats what im supposed to do on my honda) or do I have to pump it in?
Old March 26th, 2007, 11:05 AM
CF Junior Member

Correct, thats the way to do it. The small funnels are normally just right for the dipstick tube.