Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Cheap Gas or Premium Gas

Search this Thread

Old October 11th, 2016, 11:16 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what about for a 2016 'burban? this bad boy is finally up for a new tank of gas and i'm not sure if 87 is still ok??
Old October 11th, 2016, 2:42 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum ,
there are all kinds of things to consider when it comes to octane and or premium gas...
First off start with your owners manual, what does it say to use
Where do you reside, if at high altitudes premium may be needed for knock reduction
Do you have a custom tune that changes spark advance enough to need the pre-detonation extinguishing qualities of high octane fuels
SOME premium fuels may contain less alcohol and can provide better power performance when towing
Fuels that have the least amount of alcohol in them tend to get higher over all MPG's but this is ancidotal on my part
But mostly see what your owners manual has to say
Old October 12th, 2016, 11:55 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default wow!

what an old thread! 5 years ago!

Now I'm driving on premium electrons Just kidding. But I have no doubt someone will try to sell them at some point.
I do honestly cringe at some of my 5 year old posts. Such a short time, and yet I feel 20 years older now.

When in doubt: Read The Manual. It's written by some (fairly) smart people...
Old October 12th, 2016, 12:46 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my kid took my damn owner manuals and found a sharpie and tore a lot of the pages out and drew on everything! that's what i get for leaving it all for toilet reading material...

my sports coupe has turbo so i use 91....i'm pretty sure i dont need to use that.

i live in LA. there's nothing after market on my car rn or ever will be pertaining to the engine or anything. i'm thinking about seat covers....that's about it. that won't have anything to do with my gas though.

i think i may just have to find the owner manual online or see if the dealership will provide me with a new one. i just found the storage section in the back of my car with the cargo net!! i have NO idea what else im missing out!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE MY LITTLE TODDLER FOUND A SHARPIE!!!!!!!!!
Old October 12th, 2016, 2:53 PM
CF Addict

https://www.google.com/search?q=2016...utf-8&oe=utf-8
Old October 12th, 2016, 4:43 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a Car and Driver article which states, based on their tests you do get a performance increase, but not enough to justify the cost.

Regular or Premium? - Feature - Car and Driver
Old October 13th, 2016, 7:23 AM
CF Addict

The article states you cannot change compression... but you can...

Infiniti?s variable compression engine is a huge technological leap | Ars Technica

Although, I feel that's just.. stupid because every $1.00 spent on the ICE is $1.00 not spent correctly. It would be like paying money to add color to your black and white TV, when color ones are already on sale.
Old October 13th, 2016, 11:27 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

running premium allows for better fuel curve, better ignition curve, better throttle response etc.
Running premium is NOT needed, however your engine does benefit.
My SUb runs better up and down mountains and when it is 110 degrees here in AZ running premium brings back more throttle response and some lost HP.

AGAIN NO its no needed, BUT YES your engine runs better and provides you with gains across the power band. IT ALWAYS will.
Old October 13th, 2016, 8:13 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

I'll remain sceptical until I see some dyno sheets on this.
Old October 14th, 2016, 9:09 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGirlShoes
what about for a 2016 'burban? this bad boy is finally up for a new tank of gas and i'm not sure if 87 is still ok??

87 is the minimum recommended, if you want to use a higher octane then you may do so, but it is by no means required, for the most part you are looking at $1 to $4 per tank more as you go up in octane rating, more if you can find marine grade 100% gas.
I think I speak for the majority of this forum when I say stay away from the E85 it is the proverbial you get what you pay for, you pay less you get less, E85 is cheaper but will also get much lower MPG per tank due to the 85% alcohol content...not to mention if you don't fill your tank correctly with E85 and go back to regular gas it will cause drivability issues that will most likely require a trip into the dealership to reset the confused engine control module when it can't figure out the alcohol percentage with the E85 regular gas mix....

Quick Reply: Cheap Gas or Premium Gas