Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Check engine light code P0449

Search this Thread

Old July 6th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum
try inspecting the gas cap seal for any damage and then re-seating it, having it click at least 5 times. The code should clear on its own or you can have it cleared. Hold off on replacing anything until you see it come back a couple of times.
And as for replacing the cap, you are best off replacing it with the OEM one rather then an after market one as they can be worse....
Old July 6th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Administrator

The factory manuals can't be beat but they are for someone somewhat mechanically inclined, and they are about $135 for the set but well worth it if you are serious about keeping up with your vehicle maintenance.
Old July 7th, 2010, 9:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have replace the cap, it is likely the EVAP canister needs to be replaced. It about $32 from the dealer. You will read threads that say its the cap, but its a good chance that it isn't. If you have a Tahoe, it will likely be attached to the EVAP canister near your gas tank. I have attached a few images that should help you locate it:

EVAP Canister Vent Valve (2005 Chevy Tahoe)
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/...7&d=1273543919

Service Manual's description of EVAP System
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/...8&d=1273543989

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/...0&d=1273544034

Hope this helps!!

marine02xx
Old August 1st, 2010, 9:41 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2007 Suburban LT 5.3

Dumb PO449 light keeps coming on......How do I fix this thing, the code says both "Tank Evaporator Purge Valve" and Evaporator Cannister Purge Valve. Is this the same thing ? How do I repair myself, can't afford a $350.00 dealer or shop price tag........Please help. Thank you very much
Old August 1st, 2010, 11:05 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Mine went out under warranty but it is located back by the tank. Not sure how much the part costs. If you're handy, can probably do it yourself.
Old August 30th, 2010, 2:25 PM
CF Beginner

Recently added the 07 avalanche to my roster, and got this silly engine light on. I am looking to do this myself as I am a bit mechanically inclined. My question is whether this can be done without a lift? Does the spare tire require removal?

The dealer wants $250-300 to do this ... hmmmm, seems rather steep for something someone else posted as having replaced in 10 minutes.
Old August 30th, 2010, 8:00 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the forum,
what code is it that you are getting, the p0449?
Old August 31st, 2010, 3:20 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
Welcome to the forum,
what code is it that you are getting, the p0449?
I'm sorry for not being clear. Yes, code P0449. Dealer wanted $98 for a diagnosis. However the service manager was nice enough and told me not to waste my money and go to Autozone for a free diagnostic tool.

Found out the code and started searching for a solution here and in other forums. Appears to be a common problem with an easy fix.

Purchased the replacement part (#214-1937, which includes the canister hose) from my local dealer for $33. Then attempted to install last night. Alas, found lack of space under the truck to be an inconvenience. Don't call me fat just yet, LOL. I wear a size 36, ha ha. Couldn't get to the Evap canister plug without a ramp/lift.

Dropped the car off at a local mechanic by my office ... $35, and 20 min later, DONE!

So total for the fix approx. $70. I have bought a new gas cap just in case that was the path of least resistance for $12, so grand total is $82. Still far far less than the $250 plus parts and taxes my dealer quoted me.

I would be able to do it myself, but I honestly was afraid to damage the plug from the existing tube that plugs into the selenoid. Oh, and the mechanic cleaned the old one out for me (part of the $35), so now I have a spare in case it goes out again. He said there was lots of debris in it. Kind of proves the theory of placement as being not quite ideal.

Best of luck to everyone else experiencing this. By the way, if the code comes up again, I was told it is the actual canister that needs to be replaced. A bit more expensive, but overall, still cheaper than doing it at the dealer. Either their overhead is so incredibly high, or they just know anyone coming to their shop just doesn't know squat so they'll pay whatever. I don't know which one is true, but either case proves to be a sad ending to the customer and general perception of the automotive service industry.
Old September 1st, 2010, 12:51 PM
CF Beginner

Where is this vent solenoid on a 2007 Chevy Tahoe? I replaced the gas cap and still have problem. I don't want to have to take this to the dealer and get reamed. This should be a simple fix if I can just find this solenoid.

Thanks
Old September 1st, 2010, 6:51 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

I think it's on the psgr side up near the gas tank.

Quick Reply: Check engine light code P0449