Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Chevrolet Suburban AC Issue? Weird!

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2006, 7:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Chevrolet Suburban AC Issue? Weird!

I'll try that. Thanks!
Old August 27th, 2006, 12:57 PM
CF Beginner

I decided not to go with a quick-fix since it would be best to wire it in as it originally was.

I was reading about.com in my extensive research into this problem, and found a topic that said the following:

---

http://experts.about.com/q/GMC-Repai...uburban-AC.htm

Expert: Jim Gautreau
Date: 6/14/2006
Subject: 97 GMC Suburban AC

Question
The AC compressor on my 1997 GMC Suburban will not engage. It appears that there is no power to the compressor clutch. I have checked all of the fuses I can find and I have replaced the AC relay under the hood. It will not engage when I press the AC button or when I turn on the defroster. All of the fans inside work.

Answer
You either have a low charge which is preventing it from working, or the low pressure cycling switch is stuck. The switch is on the accumulator near the passenger side firewall. Try useing a paper clip to jump it and see if your A/C works. If it does then you need to replace that switch.

---

After reading this response to another person's identical problem, I decided to investigate the possibility that the low pressure cycling switch is stuck. I hooked my multimeter up to the cable that provides power to the AC clutch and there is no power running to it. Therefore, I think that the problem may lie with the low pressure cycling switch. Does anybody know anything about this? More specifically, what the switch looks like and how I can check it?

Thanks again everybody!!
Zach
Old August 27th, 2006, 4:22 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's what I said you should check in like my first post in this thread. All you need to do is jump the wires and see if the compressor engages.
Old August 27th, 2006, 8:30 PM
CF Beginner

Do you mean jump some wires between the battery and the clutch? Sorry, I'm not very savvy on AC systems (or electrical systems for that matter). Which wires should I jump, and where?

Thanks again buddy!
Old August 28th, 2006, 9:11 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull the connector off and jump those wires with the a/c on. If the compressor clutch engages then that switch is bad.
Old September 10th, 2006, 4:10 AM
CF Beginner

Which connector do you mean? Is it the one that goes into the accumulator? I'm sorry, I've been looking for quite some time at my engine and I can't determine which switch or connector you're referring to. Thank you very much!
Old July 15th, 2007, 8:15 AM
CF Beginner

yes that's the one.
Old July 15th, 2011, 12:32 PM
CF Beginner

I have a follow up to this question. I have a 1997 1500 suburban. The AC compressor comes on the charge is full and it blows air... but the recirculating "flapper" apparently does not close to get alot of air when it is on recirculate. The damper that controls the vets works fine and when the recirc button is pushed it lights up ( entire pannel was replaced 2 weeks ago.
Do I need to check the flapper that is behind the glove box? In the past it would close with a loud "THUNK" when it sealed itself. Does anyone know how to disassemble and check for it's proper operation?
Attached is a pic of the area behind the glove box if that helps you walk someone thru it.
Attached Thumbnails  Chevrolet Suburban AC Issue? Weird!-suburban-behind-glovebox.jpg  

Last edited by suburbans rule; July 15th, 2011 at 1:12 PM.
Old July 15th, 2011, 2:21 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum...
you may have already check and verified this but I put it out there as it caught me on my 97 Tahoe... the recirculate air vent can get blocked by sucking up debris or in my case an empty Walmart bag. I didn't realize it had happen but when the recirculate was on I would get little air.
Some probing and investigating I found the bag sucked up into the intake....
Old July 15th, 2011, 4:01 PM
CF Beginner

You had me all exicted... I went out thinking I had missed that but ... it is pulling fine. even ran the fingers down the duct to make sure the squirrel cage was free of a bag or something.

Quick Reply: Chevrolet Suburban AC Issue? Weird!