Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

What the heck happened? Anyone experience this?

Search this Thread

Old March 1st, 2012, 7:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What the heck happened? Anyone experience this?

Okay, so a few days ago, I asked you guys about replacing the differential and transmission fluids in my wife's 2009 Tahoe with 62k miles. My desire to change them was triggered because the rear diff was leaking from underneath the "pumpkin." Long story short, the Chevy dealer confirmed it is covered under the powertrain warranty. Because my wife couldn't wait 3 hours for the repair that day, she scheduled it for next Monday. In the meantime, the dealer said the diff was not too low in fluid yet, but they topped it off just in case.

Fast forward 4 days to today, the Tahoe is acting crazy. When you put it in drive, it goes fine. But, in reverse, it doesn't want to move -- it acts almost like the brakes are locked up. It's bad enough that you can put in in reverse and let your foot off the brake, and the car won't move. But, again, it goes fine in drive -- and not just a little like we're overcoming brake lock while in drive, instead it goes with no trouble.

When you put it in reverse and give it enough gas to overcome the "locked" feel, the car emits an extremely loud squealing noise as it moves. Louder than any brake squeal I've ever heard.

This has got to be related to the rear diff, wouldn't you think?
Old March 2nd, 2012, 7:30 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yup. something has gone horribly wrong in the diff. I'd get back to the dealership asap.

:chug:
Old March 2nd, 2012, 3:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got it to the dealership. They report the right parking brake is frozen. He really couldn't say why it only made the noise (and hung up) in reverse and not drive. We shall see . . .
Old March 2nd, 2012, 4:19 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cidsamuth
Got it to the dealership. They report the right parking brake is frozen. He really couldn't say why it only made the noise (and hung up) in reverse and not drive. We shall see . . .

that truck should be able to somewhat easily overpower a hung up brake. neverminding that if it's a hung up brake why does it only work backwards, and not forwards... :dunno: this will be interesting to see.

:chug: