Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

chipping my tahoe

Old October 24th, 2007, 2:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chipping my tahoe

i have a 2002 tahoe and ive rencently been thinking about putting a performance chip into it. does anyone know if it would be worth it, how much noticable power i would get out of it, and the best type
Old October 24th, 2007, 7:13 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: chipping my tahoe

On gas engines the performance enhancement that you will gain from most programmers is negligible. The Superchip Flashpaq units have the best results on the dyno but they are nothing to write home about.

If you combine good quality exhaust, intake and programmer you will be out $1,500 or so and make some real pretty noises but you will feel just a little in the way of extra power, although you won't admit it after spending the dough.
Old October 27th, 2007, 11:45 AM
CF Beginner

well i already have a corsa exhaust and a k&n cold air in it, noticed a little bit or power out of it, so your saying its not even worth doing it?
Old October 27th, 2007, 4:24 PM
CF Active Member

I believe that if you use a programmer and have the flex fuel, the computer will not be able to use the V4 mode. It will stay in the V8 mode. It is a toss up between the flashpaq and the diablo. I had the bully dog programmer, but they haven't come out with the program b/c of the flex fuel issue. I am probably going with the diablo, already have the airaid and the magnaflow.
Old October 27th, 2007, 5:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

On gas engines the performance enhancement that you will gain from most programmers is negligible. The Superchip Flashpaq units have the best results on the dyno but they are nothing to write home about.

If you combine good quality exhaust, intake and programmer you will be out $1,500 or so and make some real pretty noises but you will feel just a little in the way of extra power, although you won't admit it after spending the dough.
I agree here. If it was diesel a programmer would have dramatic effect (100+ Hp)
Old October 27th, 2007, 7:31 PM
e
CF Senior Member

ORIGINAL: DarkOne

I believe that if you use a programmer and have the flex fuel, the computer will not be able to use the V4 mode.
Im running the edge programmer and I actually see v4 mode quite often. Are chips worth the money? I dont think you get the most bang for your buck on gas apps but I will say that on our tahoe with the programmer it is more responsive and worth the investment in my opinion. Hands down its just funner to drive. I've tried the edge, superchips, and hypertech for power increase the edge just seems more peppy.

Old October 29th, 2007, 10:54 AM
CF Active Member

If you go on the z71tahoe-suburban.com forum, there is a company called Black Bear Performance....and lots of people over there swear by them. Just something to look into...they have an entire forum dedicated to company (the owner gets on there alot and answers question). He changes morevehicle specific parameters, and they cost just about the same as a out of the box programmer.