Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Chirping noise outside, underneath vehicle

Old November 1st, 2011, 7:39 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chirping noise outside, underneath vehicle

Have a 2007 Tahoe LTZ 4WD 104,000 mi. When going at a slow speed it's very obvious, can hear it with windows rolled up..it's like a chirping noise..it stops when I put on my brakes. Local mechanic hears it, but can't pinpoint it and wants to start swapping parts..any idea what this could be?
Old November 1st, 2011, 8:59 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum
If it stops when you apply the brakes then the pads could be worn..
something else to consider is the serpentine belt, also check the AC compressor for any leakage or oil contamination, the clutch slipping will cause a chirping sound.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 7:53 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the info. Coming home last night a light came on that said service battery charging system?..think I saw the interior lights flicker..I hope this is not the beginning of starting to have issues with my Tahoe. I love this truck and want to hang onto it until the new body style comes out!-My hubs just ordered new wheels and tires for me as well, so hopefully just a few minor issues.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 8:36 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Chirping and a service charging system could be the belt slipping or the alternator/generator bearings going bad....
Remove the belt and check the alternator for ease of spinning, it should not be rough or loose side to side...
Try the belt first and if the issue persist have the alternator checked....
Old November 2nd, 2011, 10:30 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We had a similar problem with our 04. Mine turned out to be the parking brakes located behind the rear disk brakes.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 1:39 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I would definitely recommend checking the belt. After that you can check the alternator. Also, check and see if it is what cooter mentioned. If none of this is the issue I would talk to your local dealer.
Breanne
Chevrolet Customer Service