Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Clean tow/haul mode switch?

Search this Thread

Old April 28th, 2011, 12:24 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clean tow/haul mode switch?

01' Suburban 2500 4x4 LT 8.1L

My tow/haul mode button on end of shift lever quit working the one time I tried to tow with this new to me vehicle.

I couldn't figur eout if the switch at the end of the lever is accessible or not. I ended up spraying with WD40 in the hole around the button.

The button then started working again. For awhile. Until I towed again and it wasn't working again. Tried the WD40 squirt squirt to no avail.

Is only option to replace the entire shift lever. i was hoping to be able to clean the contacts like you can do to the power window switch.

Thoughts/Advice.

Thanks
D
Old April 28th, 2011, 8:40 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I think I would have gone with an alcohol based contact cleaner rather then the wd-40 as the wd-40 can leave a residue that can gum up again, but what's done is done... I don't think the switch is serviceable and as you surmised it probably requires replacing the gear selector arm.
you might try a can of air duster.....
Old April 28th, 2011, 3:20 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Or as in2pro suggested, try an electrical contact cleaner you can get at Radio Shack. Might flush out the WD-40.

WD-40 is a protector and not a lubricant as some think. Granted it will slick things up temporarily but not long lasting. Will keep things from rusting and will dry out wet distributors. The WD stands for water-dispersant.

Did it work before you tried to tow w/ it?

Last edited by 73shark; April 28th, 2011 at 3:22 PM.
Old April 29th, 2011, 7:36 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 73shark
Or as in2pro suggested, try an electrical contact cleaner you can get at Radio Shack. Might flush out the WD-40.

WD-40 is a protector and not a lubricant as some think. Granted it will slick things up temporarily but not long lasting. Will keep things from rusting and will dry out wet distributors. The WD stands for water-dispersant.

Did it work before you tried to tow w/ it?
I purchased the vehicle back in December and it worked. Never tried until I towed my TT in March.

I will get some contact cleaner.

I did shoot it with the air compressor and blew most the WD40 out onto the windshield, lol.