Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Clunk noise when accelerating

Old April 4th, 2008, 2:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunk noise when accelerating

I have been having problems with my 07 Tahoe. When I come to a complete stop or slow down to first or second gear and then accelerate there is a loud clunk noise. I initially thought it might be the transmission slipping. I took it into the dealer and they could not find anything wrong with the transmission.

My father-in-law happen to be riding with me and told me it sounded like the u joint to him. I did notice that riding in the rear of the vehicle the sound was much more prominent. I took it back to the dealer and they told me thatthe slip yoke was "out of clearance". They then greased and packed the joint and said that it should fix the problem. I have been searching the internet today and noticed that many older model Tahoes had the same problem. Anyone else having the same problem with their 07 Tahoe?????

I also had problem with the loud wind noise on the driver side of the car. They said they followed the TSB but it does not seem to make a difference.I am about to take it back into the dealer to get them to do something else.
Old April 7th, 2008, 6:25 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Clunk noise when accelerating

Yeah, my brother's 99 Yukon had the clunk, as did my 07 just recently...lubing the slip yoke makes it go away for a while, but seems to resurface from time to time...common issue on these things...
Old April 8th, 2008, 10:32 AM
CF Junior Member

But did you use the GM "Special" Lube (not kidding that is what it is called)? I had the clunk in my '96 and that is what is used to get rid of it.
Old April 9th, 2008, 1:04 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you notice this when in Auto 4X4, or all the time?
Did the dealer check your transfer case?
Old April 11th, 2008, 1:56 PM
CF Beginner

I'm having the same problem, but only in auto mode. It doesn't slip in 2 wheel mode.
Old April 13th, 2008, 8:40 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If this happens in AUTO mode then have the dealer re-flash your computer with an updated calibration that was specifically designed to address this.
And please remember that you should only operate the vehicle in AUTO or 4X4 modes on slippery surfaces, driving around in AUTO on a sunny day wastes gasoline and adds unnecessary wear and tear to the vehicles drive-train.
Old April 29th, 2008, 4:29 PM
CF Beginner

I just had this problem in my 2 wheel drive '07. The dealer said that they dropped the drive shaft and lubed something, from reading here I guess its the yoke... The problem is gone, I've been told it will come back in time... good thing theres the 100K warranty, because I'll take it back and back and back and back if it keeps happening...
Old April 30th, 2008, 2:36 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I was reading in another post about something needing high nickel grease? What part is being lubed the part that inserts into the tailstock of the tranny? I had a very similar issue with my 97 Tahoe and the dealer also lubed something with the drive shaft but wasn’t very forthcoming with the information and the sound eventually came back.
Old May 21st, 2017, 1:06 PM
CF Beginner

Angry 2001 tahoe 5.3 4x4 loud clunking noises

my 2001 Tahoe makes a series of loud clunking noises when accelerating from a dead stop it stops around 5 miles per hour do any of you fellow Tahoe owners now what this could be? because I'm sick of going to mechanics whose way of fixing things is to through a ton of expensive parts at it. PLEASE HELP
Old June 4th, 2017, 5:27 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 2001tahoelt
my 2001 Tahoe makes a series of loud clunking noises when accelerating from a dead stop it stops around 5 miles per hour do any of you fellow Tahoe owners now what this could be? because I'm sick of going to mechanics whose way of fixing things is to through a ton of expensive parts at it. PLEASE HELP
I have had the same thing going on as well. It sounds like driving over a cattle guard. it is intermittent and seems to happen only around 1500 RPMs. Also it happens more frequently when it is hot outside side. Would love to know what the heck this could be

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clunk noise when accelerating