Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Code PO449- Really a Quick fix?

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2015, 10:00 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Code PO449- Really a Quick fix?

My engine light came on so I went and had the code read. Came back with Canister Purge Valve Solenoid needs replacing. I went on YouTube and saw a video of it being replaced. It took all of around one minute to replace. I talked to the local parts store and they wanted 35$. The Chevy dealer wants 60$. It looks like it cut any dry on how to replace it. Chevy wants 220$ to do it. My question is "is it really that easy to do myself?" Does it need to be re -flashed by Chevy? I tried to look for trends on the subject but I got prompted with several questions that weren't there previously a month ago and couldn't figure it out. I have a 2007 Tahoe with a 5.3 engine.
Old May 11th, 2015, 11:16 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no experience with doing this, however if it were me, I'd try it. I don't see why anything would need to be reflashed, unless your meaning to get rid of the code? I think the code would clear itself once everything was corrected.

Even if you did need to reflash something at the dealer, it would still be cheaper than $220 because you did the "hard" stuff yourself.

Parts at the dealer counter are almost always more expensive. Usually because they are ac delco parts instead of a generic brand. For something this cheap and seemingly easy to do, I'd get the cheap one and go from there.
Old May 11th, 2015, 11:53 AM
CF Beginner

I'm going to go ahead and do it myself. I hope that it fixes it. It's just that it really seems easy and that's just not how Chevy works. EVER!! When you can only get windshield wipers from Chevy and no one else when the new body came out. AND they still want 37$ for just one. When the engine light came I expected the code to be read as follows " REPLACE ENGINE " please bring all your money with you when you drop it off, see you in 60 days as each part will be ordered as needed untill completed. Every time I put the key in the ignition and turn I cringe. And that really sucks! I try to put all the things AFM can cause out of my mind. I still try and enjoy the couch ride as much as I can.
Old May 12th, 2015, 8:14 AM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes it is a quick fix at least on the 2500. It is located between the bumper and spare tire. Disconnect the two connections. Slide off the canister slide on the new canister reconnect to two connections. Disconnect battery to clear any codes and reconnect. It took me about 10min. I paid $45 for the part from Advance Auto. It took them three days to get it. O'Rieleys was cheaper but it was going to take them 7 days to get the part. Good Luck.
Old May 12th, 2015, 2:32 PM
CF Beginner

Well, the solenoid didn't do the trick. In the past I remember the "Check gas cap" would show up periodically so I also replaced it at the same time as the purge valve, no go. So I'm going to move on too the next thing. I think it's the thing back behind the spare tire. The parts guy a the Chevy dealer said that it may be that. It's called the fuel saturated vapor canister, if that isn't it on to Evap vent solenoid. The code Po455 also is now present and says Large leak detected. I don't understand all the prompts required to find past trends in this forum on the two codes so I'm taking the advice from whoever might of had same codes. I've read most of the Tahoe's forum and know that the info is there but only have phone and no computer to really do a good search as only 5 little boxes can be on the screen at a time. But I'm going to do the by the spare tire next. It 75$ at the dealer but they are out at the moment. Thanks for the advise so far.
Old May 12th, 2015, 3:06 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Large leak could be a cracked, broken or disconnected EVAP hose anywhere in the system...
Old May 12th, 2015, 7:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the evap system will test itself. it will close the vent solenoid and open the purge solenoid. the vacuum from the engine will create a negative pressure that is measured by the fuel tank pressure sensor. When the system can't create this vacuum, a large leak dtc is set.

so, the vent valve must close, the purge valve must open, the ftp sensor must work, the gas cap and filler tube must seal.

the most common problem is a vent valve that does not close. You should be able to cycle it on and off and listen for a "click noise".
Old May 13th, 2015, 8:53 AM
CF Beginner

You said a vent valve. Is there a specific name for it? I checked for leaks as best I could. Also, where should I be about the vehicle to hear the clicking noise?
Old May 13th, 2015, 8:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

since you are going to have to supply ground to close the vend solenoid valve; you will be underneath the vehicle next to the solenoid.

...unless you have a full function scan tool with bi-directional control.
Old May 14th, 2015, 5:40 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Here is a document that may also help
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tah...78/#post301757

Quick Reply: Code PO449- Really a Quick fix?