Go Back   Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums > Current Chevy Trucks, SUV's, Crossovers & Vans > Tahoe & Suburban
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Welcome to Chevrolet forum!
Welcome to Chevrolet forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Chevrolet forum today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2011, 12:29 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2002 Tahoe and the "Service autoride" light comes and goes. I bought the refurbished shocks and comp from Arnott and installed them myself for $600. It did no good as far as the light goes. It still comes and goes and the dealer said that it might be the ESCM. $900!!! But that may not fix it either but they will not take it back if it doesn't. There is also a BCM computer that is involved and I didn't price it but it probably is just as much as the other one. The system can be defeated but the computers have to be reprogrammed to the no auto ride configuration. That takes a dealer or someone with the codes to use and the computer setup to do it with. GM should have gone bankrupt!
Register today for free or log-in if already registered to remove this ad!
Old 04-27-2011, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the forum.

Need to check the sensors and their connections. What led you to replace the shocks and compressor?
2010 Sheer Silver Tahoe LTZ (all options but sunroof, power boards), GM (body color flaps, rear console, 3rd row mat, 2-Way Remote, chrome gas door, Esky rack), Eagle Eye LED tails, SLP dual tip exhaust, Silver bow-ties/rear wiper, Catch-All mats, AlphaTherm washer fluid heater, Putco chrome mirror covers, silver calipers, board chrome trim, tint, GMPP Major Guard

2007 Black Tahoe LTZ (Sold),
(GM flaps-$15, Lund Step Tubes-$80-For Sale)
Old 04-28-2011, 10:40 AM
Administrator
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe

@inspectorudy , Welcome to the forum,
Your vehicle is 9 years old... that really isn't bad if you are just now getting these errors...
Vehicles are not meant to last forever, they can't and if they built them to be more robust most of us could not afford them....

Get yourself a factory manual and you can do a lot of the troubleshooting yourself, granted you may not have access to all the needed tools it should give you a reasonable reference...
Old 04-30-2011, 09:30 PM
CF Beginner

Default A manual will do no good

This system is so complex that a manual without the proper scanning equipment would do no good. I took it to a Chevy dealer and they could not get any codes from the system. Their usual repair method is to plug and play(you pay) until they get the right piece. To make a system that is so complex but which is so un-needed with no simple way to repair it is the typical engineer's way of doing something. I've had auto level on other cars and it is a good feature but this system lowers the ride height at 55 mph for better mileage. It will take me 20 years to get any results of mileage improvement to pay for this repair. This is the number 1 complaint on the German cars. Too many computer controlled devices that are so interwoven that when one starts to act up it can affect many other devices. This Tahoe is the best car I have ever owned and the most trouble free. To repair this silly system can easily cost more than a new transmission to repair and its usefulness is questionable at best. BTW Arnott will sell you the shocks and compressor for about $600 total but they offer NO HELP with any trouble shooting. The advice I got from them was to disconnect the ground on the battery before working on the car!
Old 05-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Administrator
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorudy View Post
This is the number 1 complaint on the German cars. Too many computer controlled devices that are so interwoven that when one starts to act up it can affect many other devices.
My co-worker has an Mercedes S class that has been in the shop several times for the auto leveling...fortunately he has an extended warranty otherwise it would be in the $1000 for repairs....
Old 05-02-2011, 03:54 PM
CF Beginner

Default Disabling Autoride

My mechanic is a real wiz when it comes to electronics, we will try to fool the system with resistors in the plug ins for the front shocks I replaced with regular shocks, backs still in Suburban. Reason I wil try this, I plugged in the old shocks to see if the light would go off, it did for a day or so, another way to possibly fool the system, cut off the ends of the old shcks-Bilsteins, stick them in the plug ins. We'll see.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:34 PM
CF Beginner

Has anyone tried the following solution:

PASTE FOLLOWS

I have the Helm manual for my 02 2500 Suburban (With Autoride)Click the image to open in full size. and have been reading it intensively and here is what I think I found out. First off, because my truck is a 2500 it doesn't have the load leveling feature with the air pump.
The system is controlled by the SCM (Suspension Control Module)which detects body roll and suspension movement and adjusts the shocks accordingly. This info is also fed to the BCM(Body Control Module)which also monitors wheel speed, ABS and the EVO. The RPO codes (Z55 and ZK3) are input into the BCM which monitors all the functions of these 2 codes and if you disconnect the shocks or the system detects a voltage flux or change you get the light show on the dash. The Manual states that if you replace the BCM you are supposed to input all your RPO codes into it. If you disconnect the SCM and then input all your RPO codes into the BCM except the 2 autoride codes the system shouldn't detect the Autoride. The reason for disconnecting the SCM is so the BCM doesn't receive any info from it about the suspension. I read on GM-Trucks that a guy with Autoride on his rig pulled the fuse and had no problems except for the light show on the dash. The only catch here is you have to have the GM scan tool to do the programming. I don't know for sure if this idea will work but logic dictates it should so I want to throw it out there to see if anyone has had success getting rid of this system. I don't want to spend $1600.00 to replace the shocks when they finally pack it in. The dealer wouldn't give me any help as well. Let me know what you think and feel free to throw any questions at me in case I missed something. Sorry for the long post.

Autoride Disconnect

Last update on this was one month after the conversion with no problems reported. Given the cost of all the of the components, if it works it is a no brainer.

Lastly - anyone know if it is true that the 2500 does not have the compressor?

thanks!
Old 05-18-2011, 11:34 PM

Tags
01, 2001, autoride, bypass, changing, chevy, conversion, gm, kit, replacing, shock, shocks, strutmasters, suburban, tahoe