Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Convert an Autoride 01 Tahoe to use standard shocks?

Search this Thread

Old August 13th, 2016, 8:20 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also came up with the following for the resistor solution for the dash light etc.

25 Watt, 3.9 Ohm resistors work perfectly for bypassing Autoride on 2007+ SUV's. I chopped off the connector and soldered the resistor across the two wires, then heatshrunk. Doesnt matter what side attaches to what. No error messages.

Now you can put any shocks on without "Service Suspension" messages, and youre only out about $10.

You can purchase them here

For you DIY guys.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...uctId=12566160

$1.21 X 4 + shipping + tax = $12.60

Not a bad price to eliminate Autoride check light. I would also suggest NOT cutting off the original connector. You never know when you "may" go back to stock.

BTW Rancho Shocks makes an Auto-Ride bypass kit and it's only $25 for all four corners or FREE if you buy their shocks. Rancho Parts Pack P1510..
Old February 6th, 2020, 7:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

First of all - I apologize for my bad English!

I have just bought my 01 Tahoe, which is with Autoride (unfortunately) suspension. I definitely will go to a passive one suspension. First I thought about Monroe kit:
Amazon Amazon

But I am planning also to lift a vehicle (and to go to 33' tyres). So, my new idea is to buy this 3-inch lift kit:
https://supremesuspensions.com/colle...21410616639568

The only thing that left is to "cheat" the computer - I plan to make it with either with resistors, or with this ready solution:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/99-06-Autor...118a%7Ciid%3A1

What do you think, will this work?

Thanks in advance!
The following users liked this post:
crabi53263@aol.com (September 14th, 2022)
Old September 14th, 2022, 7:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Strutmastr
Hi.

My 2001 Tahoe LT has 155k and the airshocks are shot. The compressor kicks on several times in one 5 mile drive. Anyway, the cheapest I can find replacements OEM + Non-Oem shocks are $620 for each corner.

I plan on sell this vehicle and do not want to invest that much money into it. Does anyone know if there is a way to disable the autoride and replace the shocks with standard shocks? According to GM and the local Carquest store, there is not direct conversion.

If there is an existing thread on this issue, please post the link.

Thanks in advance.

It sounds like the whole system is shot. The best thing to do would be to go to Strut Masters. Are conversion kits are made here in our facility. We use powder coated AMERICAN STEEL coil springs that are guaranteed to last the life of the car. If you are not looking to invest alot of money in the car then I would recomend the Conversion Kit with suspention alternitives. This will will give instruction on how to disable ride light and put the pieces where they need to be. (yes there is a way to replace the shcoks with standard shocks) This will also improve the value of your car when you sell it, this should get what u need done for a cheaper price.

Below is the link to the Chevy page.

http://www.strutmasters.com/chevrole...parts-s/81.htm

I hope I was of some help to you

Good Luck!!!
Im just going to throw this out there, you can install a resistor on the blue signal wire and the auto ride will not display code as it now thinks everything is good, they sell a kit that does the same thing a bit higher cost than soldering in a few resistors, next part is finding a shock to fit it, that part is getting interesting, if you take the extended length of the shock the mounting on top and bottom along with the compressed height of the shock most shock companies have a shock but specs guide in the back, Monro has them and i think KYB has the shock by specs listing.
Old March 11th, 2023, 4:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me please 😭

My 2009 Chevy Tahoe XLT
I've replaced the shocks the Air ride compressor all 4 level controls. But my Air compressor doesn't work unless I jump it from the realy, I bought it from Amazon, or all compressor compatible, with this year and model or is there a certain brand that replaces Gm original OEM..