Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Coolant Leak 1996 Suburban

Search this Thread

Old November 25th, 2011, 5:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Leak 1996 Suburban

3 days ago I had the hose to my heater core replaced because it was leaking coolant. The next day I had the two front engine mounts replaced because they broke. The same day I got the engine mounts fixed, I noticed a lot of coolant on my driveway underneath my car. After taking a look, the repair to the heater core seems to be fine. The coolant is actually leaking from somewhere I can't see right above the coolant hose attached to the bottom of the front of the block. All hoses and clamps in the coolant system are secure. Am I looking at replacing a freeze plug? Or are there any other ideas out there? Any help is appreciated.
Old November 25th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

My first guess would be the water pump front seal. It usually goes when the bearings start to fail.
Old December 18th, 2011, 1:08 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Water pump may be one problem, I have had that problem with my 97 tahoe, then after replacing the pump, some months later, I had to pull the intake manafold off and reseal it. Chevy small block offen have coolant leaks from the intake manafold.
Old February 5th, 2012, 9:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 suburban 350 catastrophic coolant failure!

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000; COLOR: #000000" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
so i got stuck in about 4 feet of snow out in the middle of wyoming friday night and had to spend the night, i tried to keep it running as much as possible but i didnt have enough fuel. when i finally got it pulled out the next day it was running fine till i started to get on it. i had a leak out of my lower radiator hose. my thermostat had gone out. i replaced the thermostat, the coolant, and the hose and it ran just fine heat worked thermostat opened and everything without problems i drove it again tonight and it ran well untill i steped on it and when i looked behind me there was a large cloud of smoke, i pulled over and it was steaming (not overheated) and it was gushing my brand new coolant onto the ground. upon further inspection i noticed it was coming out from the block underneath the exhaust manifold and behind the engine mount. what could it be? freeze plug? i didnt hear a bang so i dont think im missing part of my block or anything but im completely stumped. i removed the tire and fenderwell and im in the process of taking the exhaust manifold off tomorow and trying to figure out why this is being such a pain.
Old February 6th, 2012, 10:49 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

I'd check the water pump weep hole.