Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Coolant leak on a 2002 Suburban

Search this Thread

Old August 13th, 2015, 12:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak on a 2002 Suburban

5.3 L V8

Update: took it to the shop and they told me a "bottle" that's connected to the coolant reservoir was cracked. I'm not sure exactly what he's talking about, but anyway, it was a pretty cheap fix considering it could have been much worse. That part was replaced, a new belt put on (unrelated), and the radiator was flushed. $366

We've noticed that our Suburban has started leaking coolant. The reservoir will completely empty in about a week's time. I'm not really sure where it's coming from There are a few suspect places. Sorry the pictures are so big. I'll try to say something about them.

This first picture probably doesn't show anything but I was trying to take pictures of as many things as I could.

It looks like coolant was leaking out of the reservoir at some point, but wasn't wet here when the car was cool or hot.

Anything suspect?SSide of the coolant reservoir.

SSomething was gathering moisture under here but I couldn't tell if it was running over from the air conditioner, or if it was coolant/water?

Side of coolant reservoir. This thing on the bottom was wet this morning when the car was cool. I thought maybe it was loose. I don't know what it was, but I pushed up on it. It didn't seem to move, but I drove the car for an hour, and after that it was dry. I'll check it again later after it's had time to cool and sit for a while.

You can see where something was running down at some point, but I don't know if from a leak, or from when I spilled coolant last time I added it. It was dry both when the car was cool and hot.

Last edited by sarahlorrain; August 20th, 2015 at 2:21 PM.
Old August 13th, 2015, 12:19 PM
CF Beginner

Any ideas at all? I don't know much about cars. Just trying to gather as much info as I can before my husband gets home.

Oh, and also, the oil looks good so I don't think the coolant is mixing with the oil.

Air conditioner works fine unless the reservoir is empty. Obviously, then the car will overheat when at an idle.
Old August 14th, 2015, 7:06 AM
CF Beginner

I don't know much about cars either, but I would probably top off the coolant and pressure test the system. If there are no visible signs of a leak maybe replace the caps on the overflow bottle and the radiator if it has one. Have experienced replacing a part on the coolant system and strangely enough the overflow cap would now leak, once replaced, it was fine. Not to mention the cost of continuously replacing that GM coolant. You should also after testing the system start car and let it run, looking for white smoke to see if the vehicle is burning coolant I guess. Hope this info was helpful.
Old August 14th, 2015, 9:25 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see a number of items that concern me. Here is what I would do:
Pressure check....this will tell you everything you need to know. Its worth the expense for the pump or having somebody do it
Old August 15th, 2015, 6:31 PM
CF Beginner

How do you pressure check it? Take it to a mechanic?
Old August 15th, 2015, 8:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

I think it's in your best interest to seek out a reputable mechanic. Maybe a fellow member can steer you to one if you let us know where you are.
Old August 16th, 2015, 1:15 PM
CF Beginner

Scotiapilot, can you be more specific about what you see that concerns you?

We do have a good mechanic for things that my husband can't do or doesn't have the tools for.

We were hoping it might be something reletively easy ... but since we haven't been able to find any obvious external leaks it's a bit worrisome.

No white smoke either.
Old August 17th, 2015, 11:00 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What concerns me is that it appears at some time in the past enough pressure was made to push or boil over antifreeze out. Meaning there was some event internally that created that.
Head gasket
Overheating (although you would know if it had I assume)
Faulty thermostat
etc.

Pressure testing is a must, I would also buy new hoses top and bottom. They look very weak and if they had been under a serious amount of pressure like it appears the hoses will likely be a serious weak spot under normal driving conditions.

When the reservoir has leaks its typically because of great internal pressure.....or age.

For about 250 you could replace hoses, reservoir tank and water pump thermostat. all very easy to do yourself.

Heat is death......

Last edited by Scotiapilot; August 17th, 2015 at 11:04 AM.
Old August 21st, 2015, 10:05 AM
CF Beginner

Update posted in the original post ^^^