Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Crankshaft Position Sensor, where?

Search this Thread

Old July 14th, 2007, 12:58 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crankshaft Position Sensor, where?

Anyone know where the CKP sensor on the 8.1L engine is? I was over on one of the Avalache forums and all of them said it was on the right side (passenger) near the starter (IIRC). I haven't pulled the starter off and I don't want to if I don't have to. I don't see any extra cables running in that are so now I'm not sure at all.

I do see a connector sticking out of the block on the left side (driver) that is similar to the one on the replacement sensor I have in hand. It doesn't look like the mounting tab will line up though. And I don't see any way on God's green earth I can get it out.

Anyone know for sure where this sensor is? The vehicle keeps stalling and everything I've read leads me to believe it is this sensor. I'd just like to make sure if I pull one it's the right one. None of them look too fun to mess with and I don't want to be under this thing all day.
Old July 14th, 2007, 8:33 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Crankshaft Position Sensor, where?

It's on the top rear of the engine, behind the intake manifold. The EGR valve is in the center, the crankshaft position sensor is on the driver's side next to it. The engine oil pressure sensor is on the passenger's side next to the the EGR valve. There's a large wire bundle splitting offto all three of those components. The connector to the CKP sensor has 3 pins, wiring colors arelight green, a yellow/black, and a dark blue/white.

You need to raise the vehicle andremove the fuel line bracket from the bellhousing stud, then from obove remove the driver's side ignition coil bolts and reposition the coilto get to the sensor. Disconnect the electrical connector. Use penetrating oilaround the sensor and allow it to soak in, then remove the CKP sensor bolt and gently twist the sensor back and forth. When it's free,remove it.

Have fun
Old July 14th, 2007, 8:33 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old July 15th, 2007, 4:22 PM
CF Junior Member

Ron,
Thanks for the info. I actually found it not too long after I posted this question. It was the one I feared it was. I noticed the fuel line bracket in the way so I went up top and tried to reach back behind the engine. No way! I did remove the coil and laid it aside and I could get my hands on it but trying to tak it out would have been a joke. I'm not a small guy but I'm not huge either, regardless it isn't coming out with me behind the wrench.

Is there a trick to getting it out? I don't think I can even reach the bolt for the fuel line bracket so removing that seems to be just as hard as removing thesensor itself. I have a garage full of tools and generally I can find a way to make stuff work for me but I'm just not visulizing how this can work. Since it's my wife's daily driver I can't afford to let it set if I somehow manage to get this thing out but can't get it back in. I could always have it towed if I fail but then I'd be out almost as much if a garage does this for me.

Anyone have some pointers on how to get this thing out? I'm all for saving money and doing the job myself but not at the expense of spending two days wrenching on this thing.

Help?
Old July 17th, 2007, 5:27 PM
CF Junior Member

Done and done....

$84 @ the dealer (supplied my own part). More than worth the headache I was looking at. Thanks for all the help though.