Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Cross rails retaining screws

Search this Thread

Old March 22nd, 2012, 9:53 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Cross rails retaining screws

Loaded up and headed to Ruidoso NM for spring break this year...
I use a Thule roof top carrier, before loading up the carrier I check the rails and make sure they are locked in place.
I check the cross rails for a tight fit, while running my hand along the bottom of the rail I found that the outer most screw was backing out, there are 4 per cross rail and 4 of the 8 were backing out..
It's a torx T-15...if you use your roof top carrier it might be worth checking them from time to time to make sure they are secure...

I suspect that mine worked loose from a occasional oscillation that I get on my Thule at highway speeds 65+ and a strong cross wind... the Thule will get to rocking back and forth...
Slowing down will usually resolve it... I do have a bug deflector installed, I haven't investigated if it has any impact on the oscillation.

Anyway... be sure to check your cross rails before loading them if you use them...
Sorry my picture is not better, I took it, fixed it and went on vacation before reviewing the picture...
Attached Thumbnails Cross rails retaining screws-roof-rack-cross-rail-screws.jpg  
Old March 22nd, 2012, 9:25 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

That could ruin your whole day if the Thule became a "bad airplane".