Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Cruise Control issue

Old March 5th, 2014, 1:44 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cruise Control issue

I own a 2008 4wd 1500 Suburban. The cruise control will work fine when outside temps are above freezing. However, when trying to use while temps drop to below freezing it will not set all the time. It usually take close to an hour of drive time before the cruise control functions. Anyone have a solution for this type of dilema?
Old March 6th, 2014, 8:47 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi Yogi,

I apologize for this issue. Have you tried reaching out to your dealer in regards to this? If you would like me to look further into this, please don't hesitate to reach out to me via PM. Please provide your VIN, mileage, contact info and preferred dealer. Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old March 6th, 2014, 8:55 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Reply Bot won't help you.

Is it truly Cold Weather or just a random event?

My Cruise control started acting up on 2008 Suburban last spring. Turned out it was the Brake Switch behind the brake pedal. $25 from the Dealer, took me 5 minutes to review and find the switch, about 1 minutes to replace it.

Here's a video

When mine would act up, I could not get the Cruise Control to set. It would then work for a while intermittently, and turn off if I hit a big bump in the road.
Old March 6th, 2014, 10:04 AM
CF Active Member

Default Cruise Control issue.

Thanks for the info Bird. I live in Michigan and the temps have dipped to -10 most nights for nearly a month. I will check the switch behind the brake pedal as you have mentioned. My Suburban has 220,000 plus miles on it. I wouldn't doubt the switch has some wear and needs replaced. A $25 dollar fix would be a real low cost repair with respect to all the other maintenance cost. Heading out to take a look.
Old March 6th, 2014, 11:20 AM
CF Active Member

Default Cruise Control issue.

I will likely replace the sensor soon with the hopes it is the solution to fixing the cruise control problem. Along with the cruise control issue the left rear turn signal lamp will not work. When I use the turn signal lever to turn left, the turn indicator starts to blink at a normal rate. Then after three blinks it starts to blink as if I blew a bulb. I replaced the bulb and the symptom did not disappear. So, maybe the issue is related to the brake sensor. I hope so. The turn signal problem is irritating and I have not been able to track it down.
Old March 6th, 2014, 11:31 AM
CF Active Member

Great video of the fix for the cruise control. Not only explained how to R & R the sensor but the video was nice and clear. Plus, the music was a good fit too.
Old March 6th, 2014, 11:52 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The turn signal could be related to the multi-function switch, those are notorious for going bad. This was the case with my 1997 Lumina with over 300k. I would have to hold the signal lever, and slightly pull on the lever to get brake lights.