Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Dash Cam

Search this Thread

Old August 15th, 2014, 9:23 AM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

If you want to leave it near the mirror, there is a12V source at the mirror connector. I use it for my Valentine. The 12V is always on.
Old August 15th, 2014, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Yeah I just found in the manual that its 5v so I'll have to disassemble the 12v adapter to get it to fit in the overhead unless I can find enough room to tuck a 12v outlet in the headliner...
Old August 15th, 2014, 11:45 AM
Administrator

There is for sure power available both switched and un-switched as well as room to stuff cabling a convenient place to put a small panel switch if I so choose...
Attached Thumbnails Dash Cam-cavity-opening.jpg   Dash Cam-power-access.jpg  
Old August 15th, 2014, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Is it to big to mount on the back of the mirror?
Old August 15th, 2014, 1:27 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Gdo

yea, the GDO buttons are always hot. I bet you could wire this to be always on. I assume once it's full, it just overwrites the old stuff...?

I run an optima yellow top, now 5 years old, still plays the radio for hours and starts the truck just fine.

OEM battery couldn't do that new!
Old August 15th, 2014, 1:45 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 73shark
Is it to big to mount on the back of the mirror?
Size is perfect but the mount won't allow for that position. It has quarter turn of motion range but only from the windshield mount aspect..
Old August 15th, 2014, 8:26 PM
Administrator

I meant the power supply module.
Old August 20th, 2014, 10:25 PM
Administrator

The power supply module is for the most part a standard 12v to 5v cigarette lighter phone charger.
What I ended up doing it taking another charger and butchering it down to its power supply and using the remaining case to encapsulate it to about the size of a lip stick tube and concealed the power supply within the headliner above the GDO and map lamps.
I ended up tying into the rear view mirror power as you suggest 73shark but did it within the head liner and I used the pink Ignition 1 wire so that when key is off the cam will auto power down and power on with key on..

Its now a very clean and concealed setup... I did purchase an extra mount and still have the original cigarette power cord that is about 6 feet long so I can move the dash cam to other vehicles if so desired...
Attached Thumbnails Dash Cam-phone-auto-charger-mini-usb-cord-.jpg   Dash Cam-new-remote-power-supply-.jpg   Dash Cam-i-used-quality-phone-charger-reliability-.jpg   Dash Cam-above-headliner-taps-going-rearview.jpg   Dash Cam-1-cam-mounted.jpg  

Old December 24th, 2014, 2:48 PM
Administrator

Just an update, the dash cam is still working well, have captured a few jack wagons but nothing worthy of posting, guess that is a good thing
Old December 29th, 2014, 7:27 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Updates

Well, the $15 one... didn't work, then did, then didn't then... it may have met with my foot after 20 tries. I decided I need something reliable. If I have to futz with it, every time I get in, that doesn't work for me. I need to install and be done.

According to the specs it was supposed to do all I wanted. It... did not.

So, thanks to PayPal, I'll get my $ back.

And, thanks to US shippers, and internet reviews; I bought this one

Wickedhd G1W Original Dashboard Dashcam 1080p HD H 264 2 7" LCD Car DVR Camera | eBay

And, it should be here TODAY!

And, thanks to you guys, after some playing with it's position/settings/etc. I do plan to wire it hot 24/7 and set it to 'motion' capture. Which should capture all issues while driving, and any parking garage issues.

For now I plan to back-in to the parking spaces, however, I'm hoping, by this fall, if my crazy long plan comes to fruition, and I acquire a used Model S, to put TWO in it. One out the front, and one out the back. Full (well mostly) coverage!

I'll post up with the new one once I get to play with it a bit.

Quick Reply: Dash Cam