Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

dashboard display lights are out

Old November 1st, 2012, 1:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for the suggestions and feedback. Unfortunately I bit the bullet and spent $700 to have the cluster replaced. I asked the Chevy dealer if they looked into all of the options and if they were certain this was the only resolution. Their response was that they have seen this issue before and this was their only idea for a solution. Problem is fixed now but checkbook is a lot lighter. It just seems to me that it is crazy that to replace the whole cluster, but maybe this is the only solution.
Old November 1st, 2012, 9:08 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

If your okay with spending the $700 then that is all that matters if its fixed

The techs don't really repair anything anymore, its remove and replace...
they could have tried re-seating the connections and it could have worked for the rest of the vehicles life, BUT if it didn't they would have to most likely look at it again on their dime only to tell you it needs to be replaced, if you came back for the same issue...
Old May 14th, 2014, 11:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help also

I have a 94 Chevy Suburban and I was driving it at night. I parked and turned off my headlights and when I cranked it back up within 15 to 20 minutes the headlights wouldn't come on the interior dash lights wouldn't come on the radio Nor dome lights will come on but everything else worked. What's wrong

Last edited by jaygitmoney; May 14th, 2014 at 11:52 PM. Reason: misspelled words
Old May 15th, 2014, 7:22 AM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

First thing I'd check is the headlight switch.
Old May 15th, 2014, 2:49 PM
CF Beginner

Default dimmed gear selecter fix

I found a fix on youtube for this when it happened to my 2003 GMC Sierra. It was a fairly simple fix. I only had to remove and dissasemble the cluster. Then I re-soldered the resisters on the printed circuit board. It takes some patience and a small soldering iron with a steady hand but isn't too difficult. Mine has now worked perfectly for more than 6 months. The stepper motors can also be replaced with the same method.
Old June 15th, 2015, 1:02 PM
CF Beginner

This is a circuit board repair, I will try to find the thread on here that shows how to repair. I've done it, easy. Problem is, I've done it twice, and it's fixed for about a week!
Old June 19th, 2015, 6:57 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

This is due to a burned up or solder issue with a tiny MOSFET transistor in the cluster.

More detailed information is here starting around page 5: 2007 Instrument Cluster Repair - Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

You have to take out the cluster, mark the dials and remove them, open the cluster, remove the old MOSFET, clean the connections good carefully, solder in the new MOSFET, reassemble and reinstall.

I've performed this repair twice now. The first time, I didn't get a good solder joint. The second time, I made sure it was done properly.
Old July 6th, 2015, 12:23 PM
CF Beginner

I did this too KChevy75. Now 3 times. Worked for 200 miles last time I did it. What's the trick to making it last?! Page 5 on the post - https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tah...r-36889/page5/ - has a reply from rruelas that had my solution. Worked perfectly every time, but failed soon after driving! rruelas post pasted below...

<table width="100%" align="center" class="tborder vbseo_like_postbit" id="post194382" border="0" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="6"><tbody><tr><td class="thead"> 10-10-2011, 08:47 PM <!-- / status icon and date -->
</td></tr><tr><td class="alt2" style="padding: 0px;"><!-- user info --> <table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="6" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr><td nowrap="nowrap">rruelas <script type="text/javascript"> vbmenu_register("postmenu_194382", true); </script>
CF Active Member
</td><td width="100%"> </td><td nowrap="nowrap" valign="top">Join Date: Jan 2007

</td></tr></tbody></table><!-- / user info --> </td></tr><tr><td class="alt1" id="td_post_194382"><!-- message, attachments, sig --> <!-- icon and title -->
<hr size="1" style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(0, 0, 0);"><!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> I believe I have a fix that,well at least worked for me. Thanks to everyone's input on here and with the help of you tube on how to remove my speedometer. One of the transistor leads on the speedo circuit board came loose between both displays (PRND321 and Odometer ). if you look hard you can see the little gap between the lead and the board in the pictures. I just put a little dab of solder on that joint and everything started working properly. I will have to say that what people are charging to repair your speedo is fair considering that you can easily screw something up if your not careful plus the added stress on working on someone else stuff. I cracked a little piece of the clear plastic lens over the speedo but you cant see it once you put everything back together. Anyway here are some pictures of what i did to fix it, use at your own risk but hopefully this will save you some money. If you do have " service tire monitor system " after you reinstall it, just start your engine for a few minutes and the message will go away and it will work properly. your correct mileage, trip, oil life meters, engine hours will be current.
<!-- / message --> <!-- attachments --> <fieldset class="fieldset"><legend>Attached Thumbnails</legend>

</fieldset>
</td></tr></tbody></table>
Old July 6th, 2015, 9:43 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

The first time I did the repair, I didn't get a good solder connection. The second time, I cleaned the contacts of old solder, tinned the contacts and was careful to heat them sufficiently and apply a little more solder. It's been working find for a long time now. I can only assume that a poor solder joint was causing arcing which caused the mosfet to burn up.
Old August 23rd, 2015, 4:36 PM
CF Beginner

Default Dashboard Cluster

Hello,

I had the same issue with my 2007 Suburban and I found out it is the dashboard cluster. I contact Circuit Board Medics - Automotive & Appliance Circuit Repair and this said it is a common thing with that year surburban. They said they can fix it in one day and it would be 149.99. the number is 1800-547-2049. Also you wouldn't need to reprogram it because it is going back in the same vehicle. Hope this helps!!

Originally Posted by john.morris
I am having the same problem with my 2007 Suburban. Everything works fine but there are no lights on the dashboard. I can't even see the mileage and the gear indicator light is out. I tried to find the thread you mentioned in October of 2010 but I am not having any luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.