Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

daytime running lights

Search this Thread

Old July 21st, 2007, 8:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default daytime running lights

My daytime running lights are on all the time. I thought they were only activated when the vehicle is put in gear. Mine are on when it is running and in park, as long as the headlights are not on, the DRL's are on. I could've sworn they did not work like that when I bought the hoe.
Did I turn the wrong switch? changea setting in the DIC? Is there some way to get them back to "normal" operation?
I believe the manual says the only come on when running and in gear.
Anyone else notice this?
Any help would be appreciated.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 12:01 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: daytime running lights

Same here on my 07 suburban LTZ, I could have sworn when I got it from the dealer, the DRLs only went on in gear.h
However I did install lights and sirens in my Suburban and after the install job I realized they are on constantly .
Old July 22nd, 2007, 11:08 AM
CF Senior Member

They should be on all the time unless the headlights are on or the emergency brake is applied.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 1:02 PM
CF Junior Member

07summitwhite
Are you sure they are supposed to be on all the time, even not in gear ????
Old July 22nd, 2007, 1:12 PM
CF Senior Member

Yes, I'M sure.

The day time running lights should come on whenever the ignition is turned on with the key, in park, reverse or drive.

The day time running lights should turn off when the emergencey brake is applied even with the key in the ignition or not.

The day time running lights should not turn on when using remote start with the key out of the ignition. However, the amber low lights should turn on when in remote start mode.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 1:46 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can turn them off by turning the headlight switch to theleft onceand releasing itwhile the engine is running and they will stay off even in gear. When you do turn off the car however, it will reset. This works for my tahoe
The following users liked this post:
nil2thebrain (November 11th, 2020)
Old July 22nd, 2007, 5:16 PM
CF Beginner

Here's the quote from the owners manual:
"The DRL system will come on when the following conditions are met:
The ignition is on
The exterior lamps control is in Auto
The transmission in NOT in Park(P)
The light sensor determines it is daytime"
I take that to mean with the engine running and in gear (drive or reverse)with lights in auto the DRL's are on, ifin park they are off.
It seems to me that is how they operated when I first got the truck, but lately they are on whenever the truck is running.
I'm not trying to poke at anyone, just confused by the change in the behavior of this system, and trying to get it back to the way it was.
thanks
Old July 22nd, 2007, 6:10 PM
CF Junior Member

I agree with BadgerHoe, my Suburban LTZ was the same way, only on in Drive or reverse NOT in park !! Something has changed .
Old July 22nd, 2007, 8:21 PM
CF Senior Member

The bottom line is, they will turn on with the ignition, in park or drive. That's what there ment to do. If you don't think your truck is acting right then just bring her back to the dealer and if there is something wrong I'M sure it will be covered under the warranty?

Remember that the day time running feature is for oncoming traffic to see you. If your parked on the side of the road and have the truck in park so you can enter an address in your navigation unit GM still wants the oncoming driver to see you as your truck is still running. That's why the running light will stay on with the truck in park as long as the ignition is on.

Old July 23rd, 2007, 10:48 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The 2007 Tahoe DRL's are designed to come on when in the daytime when the engine is running and the parking brake is “off”.

BadgerHoe is correct though; the manual does state that they should be off when the gear selector is in “Park” but the book went to print prior to this operational feature being finalized.
It will not hurt anything to have the DRL’s operate while in Park.

Quick Reply: daytime running lights