Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

defroster only blowing cold

Search this Thread

Old February 14th, 2011, 6:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default defroster only blowing cold

i have a 1997 chevy suburban 5.7 350 4x4. the a/c compressor went out and locked up on my suburban. i removed the compressor and replaced it with a bypass pulley. the heater and ac quit working when i did this. it only blew cold air out the defroster. it didnt matter where the controls were set on it only blew the cold defroster. the rear ac worked like normal. today i replaced the pulley with an ac compressor and it still only blows cold out the defroster. i checked all the fuses and none of them were blown.
Old February 14th, 2011, 7:31 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Did the front heater work before you removed the compressor? Is there a heater control valve in the hoses going to the heater core? Is there hot coolant getting thru the heater core? Check the input and output hoses.

When you said the rear A/C was working w/o the compressor, I took that to mean that the rear heater was working. You also said the front heater and A/C quit. I took that to mean the front heater quit as the A/C would naturally not work w/o a compressor.
Old February 14th, 2011, 7:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yesw the front heater worked before i removed the compressor. the vents, floor and defroster all blew hot and cold air. i meant to say the the rear ac only has vent and heat.