Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Delco stereo wire colors

Old July 2nd, 2011, 5:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Delco stereo wire colors

Ok, I am gutting the crap AM/FM Delco from this thing, 93 Sub. And I m confused about some of the wiring colors. This is what I have figured out to my benefit:

Orange: constant power
Black: ground
And if you tell me the other colors: Pink?, Green-antennae or remote, I guess, grey. <<--this part I could care less about but only want to know for formality sakes. I have the aftermarket stereo in the car(I only do JVC and Panasonic...although I do like the Dual XM66--, XM7---- units)

From the head unit I have:
Green, light green: Right Front Speaker
brown/white stripe, pink/white stripe: Left front

trouble is:
light blue, blue should be Right Rear
and yellow, brown should be left rear.

I get no sound when I connect these rear channels to the radio. PLUS there are 2 yellows and 2 browns, so what is that all about? No FACTORY amp, this is a Cheyenne, base model. It was a NY State Prison transport vehicle.

Then I have two 8" full ranges voice-over coils powered by the 200W 2 channel amp running from the head unit on RCAs.

But I want to add the head unit rear channels to have a fuller sound so I can work a better gain on the amp and not have it distort the sound.

I know dudes, it is easier to run new speaker wires and dont even worry about the factory setup BUT I really dont want to dismantle the pillars and headliner to do that. Plus I want to use what is already there for sheer simplicity.

I was just going to splice into the wires as they run through the A-pillar in the lower door sill but there is another issue there. There are more light blue wires. I know some of them are taillight wires so I m cautious about just snipping and ripping.

The way I see it all the factory radio wires are in the same harness(no duh!) and if the colors in the front match the colors in the rear I should be getting sound. I tried taping the wire leads to the posts on a fresh AA battery and using a voltmeter on the other end to measure voltage to confirm its location but its hard to with a AA, better with a 9v(which I dont have).

So if any of you dudes can steer me straight on this 93 Cheyenne Sub. I m sorry to say, but if this were a Ford it wouldnt be so confusing.

I m going to start another post when my internet line comes back up about retrofitting a R-12 AC system most beautifully.
Old July 20th, 2011, 1:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I figured it out, rudimentarily. I was set to run new wires to the rear but unfortunately I didnt have enough wire and didnt feel like getting more so I pulled up the sill plate on the drivers side door and found the lite blue/dark blue and brown/yellow wires. There is a visible distinction between the gauge of these wires so I cut them and lined them with new wires I ran from the rear of the radio over the steering column and behind the kick panel where the emergency brake is. Perfect.

Stereo still sounds like dogs ***** BUT that is a different issue. I was able to use the factory set in the rear for the rear speakers. Now I just await a new JVC from Ebay, and VR3 amplifier from Walmart. I most likely will run without the amp and just put in this Audiovox 10 band 80W preamp equalizer.

Current amp(Boss Choas Exxxtreme 200W) is bull! 2 Ohm set up is the only way to get boost but the sound is wack and so unmanageable(hence the pre-amp EQ). I will probably put this Boss Chaos in my moms CR-V.

I put a Boss Riot 400W in my Sportvan and it is great. You d figure they wouldnt cheap out on the Chaos, but they did.
Old September 19th, 2011, 9:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1988-95 gms
orn-men lt and dk gre-rf
yel-12v gry and tan-lf
pnk-p ant brn and yel-lr
gry-dim lt and dk blu-rr
blk-gro