Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Desperate: Whining/Humming sound only on acceleration and deceleration, other issues.

Old May 3rd, 2015, 6:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Desperate: Whining/Humming sound only on acceleration and deceleration, other issues.

I have a 2005 Tahoe 104K miles and it has a supercharger. I started hearing a low pitched whining sound when I accelerated. It would increase in volume. I brought it in to the mechanic who took the blower off the supercharger and sent it out to be rebuilt as the manufacturer said it was shot, he did some work on the rear end, as well as replaced the battery, belts, and a tensioner. (I don't have the receipt for the specifics as I am still paying him off.) Unrelated, I had him replace the shocks as they were the original. He did nothing with the front end.

$6K later and almost a month later, I pick up the Tahoe and the noise is still there.

1) The noise is from the front, and whether I am driving or in the passenger seat, the noise is the same.
2) I can not reproduce the noise revving in park, or revving in neutral. It only occurs while the Tahoe is in motion.
3) The noise has actually gotten worse. It is most noticeable when the car is in the 30-35 mph range. It can be heard over the radio and over the engine at that speed. Once at highway speed, it seems to blend in with the engine and tire sounds.
4) When decelerating, it makes a deep, winding down sound.
5) Yesterday, for the first time, It made a growly-screetch sound when I made a left turn onto a side street, and did the same when I backed out of a driveway shortly after that.
6) The noise started about a month after I had my front brakes repaired.

Last night I drove a few miles (noise still there) and then pulled into a driveway on my left in order to turn around. The car made a grinding moan which I felt vibrating in the brake pedal as well as the steering wheel.

I'm a mom who needs her car and can't afford another high repair bill or to be borrowing cars for another month. Does anyone have any idea what could be happening? I'm at my wit's end. The dealership I purchased it from is no longer in business, or I would just go back to them.

Has anyone experienced this?

Any help, advice, or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Old May 3rd, 2015, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum
Wheel bearings or hubs... would be my guess for the growling sound...
might also consider u-joints
Old May 3rd, 2015, 2:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by in2pro
Welcome to the forum
Wheel bearings or hubs... would be my guess for the growling sound...
might also consider u-joints
Thank you.
Old March 11th, 2018, 1:01 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2007 suburban ltz. 173k mikes now. I replaced the rear end with one from a 2011 yukon 5 yrs ago. Had 40 k on it according to the guy I bought it from. The rear is a 3.42. But my original gearing is 3.73. Yes the front is still that. Well recently it’s developed this obnoxious hum and vibration at 65 mph. Sounds kinda like an exhaust leak. It only happens while accelerating. Let off the gas and it stops. Vehicle coasts smooth and quiet. Get on the gas again and immediately it comes back. I mentioned the rear end thinking it could be the problem. But don’t think it would stop making noise when I let off the pedal. As it is still continuously spinning. A friend mentioned possible torque converter failure. But I’m not sure if that’s the case