Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Diagram 2005 Z71 Tahoe Brake Line

Search this Thread

Old September 10th, 2014, 3:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED Diagram 2005 Z71 Tahoe Brake Line PLEASE!

Looking for 2 days on the web for a diagram for a 2005 Chevy Z71 Tahoe. Where does the Brake Line connect to the ABS unit.

I can find Diagrams for other Chevy trucks for other years but not for mine. I just want to make sure I am cutting the right line. My front right brake line burst while driving and now I am going to replace with a new one. I only want to replace the right front brake line. I don't want to pull out the old one because we all know they are all rusted and fragile. Moving one out may cause another one to crack, leak or burst. I have tried to follow the line along the side of the truck but all the brake lines are bundled together and each time I get to the port I get different results. I am not lifting the truck off the frame. I can crawl underneath and reach the ABS just fine. I have already run a new line to the ABS, just need which one to cut out to put new line in. Yes, I have a flaring tool and new brake line nut. It's all set - just need location on the ABS.

So with that said - does anyone know 100% where the port for the right front brake line is on the ABS. From what other diagrams I have seen - Its the second top port going from Left to right. Top 1st port is Left Front. Top 2nd port is right front. Is this the same for a 2005 Z71 Tahoe?
Thank-you so much for your help!
This truck breaks down every other month. I did not know a thing about trucks until my Tahoe, now I am a pretty good mechanic. Not what I wanted but it's the only price I can afford. (me doing it for 1% of the cost of the dealership) I will be buying new soon and it will not be a GM. Sorry but this truck has had problems from the first 3,000 miles. 2nd biggest mistake of my life. (1st being the house I live in currently)

Thank-you again.
Jennifer

Last edited by janderson6791; September 10th, 2014 at 4:16 PM. Reason: Looked like I had diagram but I need diagram
Old September 12th, 2014, 6:08 PM
CF Active Member

I understand your frustration with rusted brake lines. It is a true hazard and something that all of us should be looking at. I guess it is your call whether to replace one line or all of them. Unfortunately, once you start to disturb the lines, you do risk breaking another and truly, you are much better off breaking the line in your shop, than on the road. Also, as you know, if one is bad, then probably the others are close too.

The Abs module is bolted to the side of the frame rail. You may want to loosen the bolts holding the unit, if you are having problems accessing the fittings. Also, it is much easier to remove the lines, after removing the cab bolts on the drivers side and lifting the body a little off the frame. This is especially true, since you do not want to disturb the other lines. The lines are pretty tight on the drivers frame rail. You can lift it with a small piece of wood and a jack. Once the frame is up, put a piece of wood on the frame mount and lower the jack for safety.

If your lines are this bad, you will probably have a difficult time removing the ABS module bolts. They can be badly rusted as well and I have found that it is best to cut the lines with a small tube cutter and then use a socket on the line to remove it, rather than trying to use a wrench and round off the fittings. If you get the fitting off, you should be able to reuse it, as they are quite expensive from the dealer.

I am not 100% sure on the line location, and even if I was, I would still want you to double check. Your best bet may be to ask a second person to work with you and pull off the line you want to remove and slowly trace it. With a second person, it would make it easier.

When I had the same problem you are experiencing, I replaced all of the lines in my truck with copper / nickel. This way they will last a lot longer than original. I also did all of the flex lines.

Good luck with the salt this winter. I hope that if you are getting a new truck, that you get it before the winter hits, which is soon!
Old September 15th, 2014, 8:52 AM
CF Beginner

Default Is this the correct diagram for 2005 Z71 Tahoe?

I would like to know if this is where the front right brake line hooks up to ABS in a 2005 Z71 Chevy Tahoe 5.3?
Attached Thumbnails Diagram 2005 Z71 Tahoe Brake Line-abs.png  
Old September 29th, 2014, 10:39 AM
CF Beginner

Default Took a guess and Found It!

Well I finally just had to guess which port was for the right front brake line and it was the 2 port - going from left to right. I just cut and installed new line and bleed the brake line. My pedal came back and no more leaks!! Yea!

First Row of 4 Brake Lines
1st top port is the Left Front Brake Line
2nd top port Right Front Brake Line.
3rd top port Rear Left Brake Line
4th top port Rear Right Brake Line

Second Row of 2 Brake Lines
1st port Front Master Brake Line
2nd port Rear Master Brake Line
Old July 23rd, 2020, 8:25 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by janderson6791
Well I finally just had to guess which port was for the right front brake line and it was the 2 port - going from left to right. I just cut and installed new line and bleed the brake line. My pedal came back and no more leaks!! Yea!

First Row of 4 Brake Lines
1st top port is the Left Front Brake Line
2nd top port Right Front Brake Line.
3rd top port Rear Left Brake Line
4th top port Rear Right Brake Line

Second Row of 2 Brake Lines
1st port Front Master Brake Line
2nd port Rear Master Brake Line
Thank you!
I have a 2004 Avalanche and need to replace the same line!
I saw a guy use compressed air to confirm lines.